Real out of character growl/snark at our other dog

Me again! 

Recently you all gave me some amazing advice about Aline training with Caleb and he’s been doing so well, lying down on his bed, very happy with our other dog being in the same space as him and so I was hoping you can help me with a new thing that’s recently happened.

Caleb and our family dog Tilly have been getting on so well, sharing a basket, learning each other’s boundaries etc. Tilly can be quite dominant as she has been attacked by dogs and so she has been setting her limits with him. I feel that has been ok and I have always been in the room with them. She often comes and shares a bed with him, and he is not food aggressive around her or any dog.

Today, however, she went over to sniff his paws (which she regularly does) and he lifted his lips and snapped at her. It wasn’t a bit attack or anything like that but it scared Tilly and also me as it was so out of character for him. Apparently yesterday, she came to do the same thing and he growled. I wasn’t there and so wasn’t aware of this.

He has also started to raise his hackles. When he is playing with a toy the other day, my brother asked him to leave it, he didn’t growl but wouldn’t let go and raised his hackles. . He has never done this with me, he won’t even tug at the toy. The only other time I have seen him raise his hackles is when he meets other dogs who are very excitable around him.

I have had him 5 months now, but he has only been with Tilly for 3. Could this still be him settling in? He turned 4 the other day and so could this be adolescence? The other thing I should mention, is that he recently hurt his leg going after a rabbit and so wasn’t sure if he was snarling cause he didn’t want her near his paws? But it’s so odd as he even lets her eat bits of treat he’s dropped when he’s finished from between his legs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do still have his muzzle and so could muzzle him when we leave? 

Thank you in advance! 

Tash & Caleb. 

Part still settling in. Part that he still has some pain with that leg.  Any time you need to take something away from Caleb you'll need to trade up - another toy. Plus most likely your brother was leaning over him at the time. With reactions like you've been seeing, instruct every one to not lean over Caleb or approach him on his bed.

Always better to muzzle both dogs in a situation like this, both when you are home or out of the house. Give it more time and see how this settles out.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hi Calebsmum. In my opinion, try not to over-think it. Raised hackles, growl, and snap, are significant signals that 'something' isn't right in your dog's world ("Please back away. I need more personal space."). Those moments are only the tip of the iceberg so to speak. His bedding, food/treats, and toys should be only for him, and if he also has general anxiety, and Tilly is 'pushy', and he has a sore leg, his tolerance may be wearing thin. 

Ensuring his personal space may be all that's required, but see a vet if you think he's in pain. 

Adding that the growl is a good thing and don't discourage that. Find the trigger, be it pain, possessiveness, or aggression. Discouraging a growl does away with the warning signal.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you so much for your advice @macoduckand @mansbestfriend

I have been watching them both and he seems to have settled down, but I am going to get his leg checked as I think it could be an old racing injury. 

I will continue to keep an eye on it and when we are out, I will keep them separated for the time being, just until he is feeling better.

Thank you both again.

Tash.