Agression, Growling, Biting when time for walk

Hi All- 

Really appreciate this community here.  Great collection of advice and information.  Hoping I can ask you all for any ideas, as we are facing an issue that has become quite problematic.  We adopted Leeloo getting close to 5 months ago.  She is probably getting close to 3 years old.  We know she came from a racing farm that shut down operations, but we don't know much else about her previous history. 

Right from the start, Leeloo has been a very timid and very scared dog.  But we have been gentle and kind with her and she has really come out of her shell here in the home.  She really seems to love me, my wife, and our two young daughters.  She does spend most of her days lounging on a dog bed in our master bedroom, but she does perk up at certain times of day to come downstairs and hang out with the family or play and goof off with toys or rolling around on the ground getting pets and tummy rubs.  I'd say at this point she is over her fears in the home and is comfortable.

The one exception is going out for walks / potty breaks.  She absolutely hates this, and nothing - absolutely nothing - will motivate her to go willingly.  She is usually on her bed, but even when she isn't - if she hears the sound of the leash being picked up or the door opening, she will run right back up to her bed. 

When we first got her, I had to physically carry her outside and put a lot of effort into pulling the leash to get her to move.  Nowadays, it has improved noticeably - once we get her out of the bedroom, she will generally walk herself down the stairs and out the door without too much pulling.  Once we are outside and walking, things are great.

But it is getting her on her feet and out of the bedroom that has been the challenge.  She just turns into dead weight and will not budge.  Still have to physically pick her up and put her on her feet.  She will not respond to anything to motivate her - treats, toys, calming language, etc.  We've even tried super high "value" food like liver, cheese, various other meats... absolutely no effect.

This is annoying, but ultimately not that problematic.  And we've always thought it will be something she will continue to make progress on as we are patient with her and she gets more comfortable.  But, unfortunately, we have a new issue developing. 

I usually am the one to take her out for her walks.  But sometimes, I am not available and my wife needs to do it.  Starting about 3 week ago, Leeloo has begun to growl at my wife whenever she comes up with the leash to take her out.  This has escalated and is now full blown growling, baring of teeth, and trying to bite her when she tries to put on the leash or get the dog on her feet.  It got pretty bad these last couple of attempts, and now my wife is (rightfully) too afraid to try it again.

Leeloo would never do that with me, however.  She was always begrudging to go out, but never growled at me or was aggressive in any way.  Until this weekend.  Now, she is doing this behavior with me, and not just growling.  Like, full out trying to bite - extremely aggressive.  Any other time, though, she is a total sweetheart and very lovey.  I've been able to her out only by getting a muzzle on her, and getting the leash on her that way - she is going nuts trying to bite me through the muzzle, though.  It is very scary.

This is a big problem because she has to go outside for potty.  We don't have a fenced in yard.  I have some work travel coming up soon, so I will have to be away from the house for a few days, and we are really freaking out because we don't know what to do.  Happy to share more info, and if anyone has any thoughts or ideas, we would so greatly appreciate it.  We love Leeloo so much, but are seriously worried about not being able to fix this problem.

This is mostly beyond our capacity to help, at this point.  I would suggest contacting your adoption group right away and ask if they have a recommendation for a positive reinforcement only, certified animal behaviorist.  They can come to your home and observe your interactions with Leeloo and give you better advice.  

Your vet may also be able to provide a recommendation.  I would speak with him/her anyway about trying a course of anti anxiety medication asap, as this is the root of her issues.  

If she's mostly doing fine in the house with normal day to day activities, I think you can begin to block her from her safe spot in the bedroom for a short time every day.  Move her familiar bed downstairs and block her way up, or just shut the door.  Do something she likes, give lots of praise and treats, and then let her go back to her safe spot.  Increase her time away from it as she gets comfortable in other parts of the house.

Reduce the number of potty trips - after meals, getting up in the am, before going to bed.  Don't worry about exercise at this point.  Leave her leash attached, if necessary, unless she'll be left unsupervised (alone in the house).  

And remember that it's her fear and anxiety making her behave this way.  She's not being aggressive,  she's scared.  She needs time and patience. 

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with greysmom's advice and would also suggest that you may find a slip leash helps with getting her out of her bed. Something like this. Here in the UK at any rate it would be what is used in greyhound kennels to move dogs from the kennel to the paddock, or whatever. It was what my adoption group suggested for Tiger, who had been returned from one home for bed guarding, and then bit me too, a week in. (I had failed to read his body language and realise how nervous and insecure he was feeling about beds, following life in a small and rather chaotic home where he wasn't given the space he needed.)

The kennel's advice was 1) to lure him out of bed with a treat (always easy, he is very foody!) or 2) in case of need, to use the slip lead and form a big loop, approach the dog and drop it over the head while talking cheerfully - "hup hup Tiger time to get up!" or whatever - then tug to tighten and keep on encouraging as I started to move away. It worked like a charm for him, being something he was already familiar and comfortable with; not sure this would be the case in the US (if that is where you are) but someone here will know!  Otherwise I suggest you keep a lead clipped on for now, as greysmom suggests. Moving towards him and leaning in to fasten a lead on could be seen as threatening, otherwise - being leaned over had definitely become a worry, for Tiger.

Just to reassure you, after several months in my quiet home the problem has gone away, as we have learnt to trust each other; Tiger has become a calm, happy dog who knows his lovely bed is his to keep and enjoy, even if he needs to leave it occasionally!  But I think in your situation, as the problem has developed while she is in your care, it would be very sensible to get an understanding trainer in to look at your life together and see what small tweaks are needed to make all of you more comfortable.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Try treats to get her off the bed and walking.  Get an appointment with the vet and see if they might prescribe something like dog Prozac  - there is also Trazadone. In the interim, there is something called rescue remedy that might help a little bit with the anxiousness. 

Forgot

Get some DAP Diffusers, and maybe a collar, for your home to help calm her down too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly