clicker training

Hi every one,

I'm thinking about clicker training.

The reason is I am keeping him muzzled when out and about as he is  still very easily spooked and therefore difficult to give him treats when he is well behaved.

Has anyone tried this and got any suggestions ?

Cheers

With clicker training you MUST reward immediately after clicking or marking the behavior with a conditional reinforcer(also a must).  It is not something casual that you can successfully do without a thorough understanding of it or you can really screw up the dog.  I would suggest that for starters go to https://leerburg.com/articles-obedmarker.htm 

and read some of the articles on clicker training so you can get some kind of an understanding about it.  You have to "charge the mark" and other things-all are critically important- or else you will ruin the dog because he won't be able to learn properly since you are not training him properly.  Some basic instruction from a good trainer would probably be invaluable to you.  And BTW I am NOT referring to the so called 'trainers' at the big box stores like PetSmart etc. If you get a trainer get a real one where you will get your money's worth.

Muzzles are good. I love muzzles. They will save $$$ in vet bills by preventing incidents so I am glad you are using one. And the dogs don't care about wearing them either. There is a muzzle called Baskerville that is designed so you CAN feed treats while they are wearing it.  I do not know if it fits greyhounds but I suspect it does as it has many sizes.  I have to use one for my working dog when the dog is on an aircraft and they are the ones who told me about it.  It is good because you can feed them while they are wearing it and the dog can also be intubated and treated medically while wearing it! https://www.chewy.com/baskerville-ultra-dog-muzzle/dp/117374

thanks' for replying,

The PDSA has a good site about clicker training, but I will also look at the one above you recommended, the more information the better.Will probably look at the more open muzzles.

One big plus I've found when I'm out walking is that other  dog owners tend to leash their  dogs when they see us coming , which makes it easier for me to relax and not put my anxiety onto Ally.