She just won’t walk! **help**

Dani

Hey!

Firstly, apologies if this has been covered before but I was struggling to find a helpful answer. 

I’ve just adopted my first grey and she has been a dream, roaching on day 4 and settling in so well. However, the weather changed and since it’s been raining I can’t get her to walk further than next door. I have given her a little pull but she’s not budging and I don’t feel like forcing her is a good idea. 

She pooped in the house tonight and it’s the first accident since she’s been here (a week). I had taken her out about an hour before as she was sat near the back door but she just had a wee then pulled to come back in. 

How do I get her to walk?! And any tips to help her learn that pooping in the house is not ok? I didn’t tell her off. 

thanks so much,

Dani xx

Are you saying that she won't go out in the rain? Or that, now that it rained and she was out in it a small bit, she no longer wants to go out whether it's raining or not?

If it's the first one, try a raincoat or even holding an umbrella over her. My guy wouldn't go out in the rain when I first got him, or at least he wouldn't do his business, but I got him a raincoat and he was fine. Now he's comfortable enough to be out in the rain without the coat if the rain isn't too heavy.

8 hours ago, stevevt said:

Are you saying that she won't go out in the rain? Or that, now that it rained and she was out in it a small bit, she no longer wants to go out whether it's raining or not?

If it's the first one, try a raincoat or even holding an umbrella over her. My guy wouldn't go out in the rain when I first got him, or at least he wouldn't do his business, but I got him a raincoat and he was fine. Now he's comfortable enough to be out in the rain without the coat if the rain isn't too heavy.

Sorry it wasn’t clear. In good weather she walks normally but when it’s raining she will walk out, maybe 20 steps, then stop dead and refuse to move. She has a coat. I just don’t know what to do, she’s had no real exercise for 2 days now and the rain isn’t forecast to stop any time soon. 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Sorry it wasn’t clear. In good weather she walks normally but when it’s raining she will walk out, maybe 20 steps, then stop dead and refuse to move. She has a coat. I just don’t know what to do, she’s had no real exercise for 2 days now and the rain isn’t forecast to stop any time soon. 

Some stuff to try:

• no coat and holding an umbrella over her. [The problem could be she doesn't like the feel of the coat. It's something she could get used to, though.]
  • if her coat has a neck portion that can roll back, do that. [The problem could be she doesn't like the sound of the coat up near or against her ears.]
  • use the coat as usual, go 15 steps, turn and walk the other way, then turn back around when you can anticipate the next time she'll stop; then, repeat [She's in a groove with the stopping behavior.]
  • praise, praise, praise, whenever you get the right behavior (heading out the door, moving in the right direction, exhibiting calm/not worried body language)

18 hours ago, stevevt said:
  • use the coat as usual, go 15 steps, turn and walk the other way, then turn back around when you can anticipate the next time she'll stop; then, repeat [She's in a groove with the stopping behavior.]
  • praise, praise, praise, whenever you get the right behavior (heading out the door, moving in the right direction, exhibiting calm/not worried body language)

I agree and it's going to take time and patience. With these contrary hounds it could be the feel of rain landing on her or she doesn't like wet feet or even the noise of it. As long as she is going out to wee and poo I wouldn't worry about her not exercising for a few days.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time