Potentially adopting a grey w/epilepsy

Hi y'all,

Joined the forum just to post this thread. My partner and I live in an apartment with 2 cats and 4 guinea pigs (kept in a separate, closed off room). We have been searching for a grey to add to our family and got in touch with a GPA branch in the area. They have a 4yo male ex-racer who is listed as having epilepsy which is well-controlled with Keppra. We have not been told whether he has been epileptic his whole life or if this developed post-retirement.

I am assuming that the concerns will be similar to people w/epilepsy--I myself have had seizures years ago that I thankfully grew out of. My partner is also a nurse (for humans) so we are lucky to have that too. For those of you who have had greys with seizures, are there any extra steps we should take to keep our home safe? 

Nothing extra, especially if he has his seizures well controlled.  He will be totally normal for 98% of the time.  The seizures will be scary, but it helps to remember that he's not aware of them, even a big grand mal, and he'll recover quickly.

One thing to consider is if your apartment has stairs or an elevator.  If you have to get a seizing dog quickly to transporatation stairs will not be easy.  We always kept/keep a doggy stretcher on hand, just on case.   The other issue is the cost of his medications, so do some research into drug costs in your area.  He'll probably also need to seen a neurologist for yearly checkups, in addition to a regular vet.

I've had two seizure dogs and they are just as awesome as greyhounds with no seizures.  But they are very difficult to place as most people just don't want to deal with such a serious health issue right off the bat.  

Here are a couple webistes for you to look at about canine epilepsy:

Canine Epilepsy and Dog Seizures

Canine Epilepsy Resource Center

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you for the links! 

We are lucky to be living on the first floor with no stairs/elevator to worry about. I can see why these guys might be hard to place--rescue is even offering a reduced adoption fee for him--but I figured it wouldn't be too much of a difference! We've had special needs pets before (even a neuro kitty with CH) but never seizures.

We had planned to visit the university vet hospital to look into blood donation, but I will have to inquire about a neurologist as well in that case if we do get him. Surprisingly we were not the only family to express interest in him, another person who has had seizure dogs is in the running. My partner has had dogs before, but this would be our first together in our home. I am really hoping we still have a chance, especially since he is 10,000% cat-friendly per the foster. Their cats regularly snuggle up with him. :)

I don't think dogs can donate if they are on seizure meds, but you should check.

We had our one seizure dog foster for nearly a year until someone expressed interest in him.  They had had a seizure dog before, and the woman was an ICU nurse.  They've had him about 4 years now and he's doing great - well controlled on his meds, gets along wonderfully with their two other greys and their huge parrot.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Gotcha. Looks like he is on twice daily Keppra and has not had a seizure since starting the meds, thank goodness. I'm going up to the local Petco for the org's meet and greet on Saturday. Really hoping this pans out for us if he is a good fit :)