Jumping on People

Guest charliesdad11

Guest charliesdad11

We have had our boy for 2 months now and  we are experiencing an infrequent problem with jumping on people. He has done it 3 times over the last month. All with women, all different places (one in our home, one on lead, and one at the dog park). I find it really embarrassing when he does it, but he does it so infrequently it’s hard to tell when or if it going to happen. Also due to the infrequency, I’m not sure how to train him against jumping? Currently, we pull him down and say a stern no and end the pets.Any advice on how to handle it? Has this happened to any of you before?  

We have actually been working on that in the training class we're in, fortunately our guy isn't a jumper, but we're in a class full of puppies who definitely are. When the dog is on the leash they taught us to keep your free hand on the leash, closer to where it connects with the dog, so that you are able to hold the leash down at a level where the dog isn't able to jump. You don't want to have to pull on him, but holding it just creates kind of a ceiling where he can't jump up.  If he doesn't quite have these manners down, then you might stick the leash on him at home when you know people are coming over, just to work on it.

If you know the people he's jumping on, instruct them to turn their body away from the dog while he jumps, so he's not getting attention or anything of what he wants when jumping.

Since he sounds like he usually isn't jumping, you have lots of chances to reward polite greeting behavior. These guys definitely need to be taught what's right and wrong to do in those situations.

The fact that he's doing it infrequently makes me wonder if the three people had something he couldn't resist? If these ladies were each holding a giant turkey leg or something, then the situation is a little different.

I wonder if it's a particular perfume they're wearing?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time