Dog/cat New Place Adjustment

Guest MarcosMom

Guest MarcosMom

Hi all,

I've had Marco for 4 years, he's now a bit over 10 years old. For the past year and a half, it's just been he and I living together and he's been totally fine loose in the home while I'm away (had him for 4 years, but had a relationship change). We just moved in with my boyfriend and his cat, Dash. They have met each other many times, and have stayed several days with each other before this. As long as Dash moves slowly, Marco is fine. As long as Marco is lying down or doesn't get up quickly, Dash is fine. They've been seen sleeping about 3 feet from each other without issue. But, I always worry about something bad happening between them, especially if Dash gets spooked by something because he is a scaredy cat. Marco is okay in his crate, but does get quite anxious if in there for a long time. Dash gets anxious when in a room for a long time. We tried putting a gate up downstairs that has lots of carpet, beds, water to keep them separate, but Marco peed and pooped after only a couple hours which he never does and so I think it was anxiety related. When I did a "trial" of leaving Marco upstairs and closing door on kitty who was under the bed, Marco was back to his usual ways. Totally chill and calm when I got back from the store. Is a muzzle "enough" for them to cohabitate safely? I just want what's best for both of them.

Always have a safe space that the cat can get to but the dog can't. A finished basement with a cat flap in the door works if you have one (I don't). I have one room that has a baby gate installed about 8" above the floor, so the cats can run under it but the dog can't crawl under. Probably a good idea anyway to keep the dog out of the litter box and cat food :) A muzzle really isn't enough to keep the cat safe if you are not there. I always keep them separated when I am not home in the early days. once they have both gotten used to the new situation, they will probably be fine, but I would always keep that safe space for the cat.

Guest MarcosMom

Thank you. Dash has safe gates for his box/food, etc that he can easily get to. I just don't want Marco to chase or get nailed with claws or Dash to get hurt (granted Marco has no teeth, but still).

Guest MarcosMom

Boyfriend is fine with box/food/water in bedroom for Dash and given the fact that Dash has not left the bedroom until like 7pm most nights for a week, I think this might work. fingers crossed. I was home most of the day yesterday and he didn't come out, and when he did he just sauntered, So maybe he's so anxious anymore.

Edited by MarcosMom

Sounds like a fairly unpleasant life change for the cat!

Having said that, I have had greyhound + cats for many years now. In my admittedly limited experience, if the dog isn't chasing the cat now, he's not going to do it when you aren't home either. The cat will most likely hide and sleep all day, and the dog will probably crash on the couch! As long as the cat has an escape route, you should be ok.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck