Dry Coughing/hacking

This is my thought too. I don't understand how you got from coughing to an IBD diagnosis. Did the internal medicine folks say if the vitamin levels were just mildly low or deficiencies that could cause problems? Other possible causes than IBD? Being low in B vitamins could cause tiredness I would guess.

Honestly, my initial thought was LP, heart issue, or allergies. And steroids would I believe treat an allergy issue, so that could be why the coughing has gone away. Were heart issues covered? Has he had an echo?

If it were me, I'd get him off the steroids and put him on a trial of Apoquel and see if his symptoms resolve. Of course I'd hate to say that if something more serious is going on, but seems the steroids are doing more harm than good. :dunno

Good points.

So for the 'coughing to IBD diagnosis'. The internist suspected that the cough and the tiredness/weight loss were two separate things. At the time of consultation they said that it could be respiratory (bronchitis) and wanted to do a lung wash. With the GI issue they wanted to do an ultrasound then an endoscope. We really didn't feel the cough was 1. Severe enough 2. Common enough to do something as invasive (and also not that accurate from what I hear). With the weight loss being our primary concern we wanted to wait on any invasive tests and instead get an ultrasound done as well as the blood panel. Blood panel then showed low levels of folate and cobalamin. The internist still wanted an endoscope to be done (to confirm IBD/rule out cancer) but again, weight loss, anesthesia and the possibility of waiting another week for that to be done we went for the treatment of IBD. Not thinking he had a severe case (stool fine, no vomiting, diarrhea at all) we thought a non aggressive approach (budesonide+cobalequin) was sufficient.

I believe he's still continuing to lose weight. Internist now suggesting injectables for both the prednisone and vitamin b12 as she believes that his IBD is SO bad that their not being absorbed orally.

I did try to ask if there were any other issues causing those low levels i.e. dietary, worms, parasites. She didn't seem to think they'd cause such drastic weight loss which I'm beginning to believe as well. Allergies, diet, or even LP couldn't cause that much weight loss right? we're down approximately 10 lbs from racing weight. I'm almost thinking we don't even need the steroids and just use the injectable only.

Ahhh, I must have misunderstood. I thought the weight loss only happened after you started the steroids.

What about EPI? Did they test his pancreatic function?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...

TP is 6.1 g/dl and reference range is 5.0 - 7.4.

They did do a TLI and there aren't any issues with pancreatic function.

So today he's down to around 67 lbs (roughly 14 pounds from racing weight - all in about 2 months give or take). really lethargic the past two days.

He's on dexamethasone injections every night, vitamin b12 injections, and being fed zignature lamb (about 30% more than he used to/recommended by the brand). Because I thought it couldn't hurt we now are giving him Wonderlabs Vitamin b12 Pet Factor with Intrinsic Factor and folic acid. I am told that with malabsorption issues, having the intrinsic factor in this helps. It's also a methycobalamin rather than the cyanocobalamin which I also hear some dogs only absorb one or the other. Sort of on the fence with how much I believe all of this but we're running out of options.

We're not too optimistic at this point. I'm tempted to take him off of the steroids as I feel his lethargy and constant peeing (yesterday may have been 15-20 times) seem to be worse than any other side effects. Vet keeps telling us to 'stay the course' as we'll be tampering with the variables too much and will never know what works or what doesn't. At this point though I'm doubtful that anything will work.

We have an endoscope next wednesday scheduled (also very very frustrating piece of all of this - there is no sense of urgency with our internal medicine. They're always so booked. Some of the reason he's in this situation is because we've had to wait so long for so many things to happen. has anyone else experienced this? Our dog is literally withering away and they have the guts to tell us to our face we have to wait another week to just even get a test done???? He might not even be alive!!) There are risks now that he's lost so much weight with doing an endoscope but we really have no choices here. We need to know if this is either a really severe case of IBD or now possibly gastric cancer.

If anyone has any experience with steroid treatment or what sort of greyhound specific issues develop from steroid treatment I'd be very interested to know. I know there is muscle loss right? And theoretically if muscle weighs more than fat could it be possible the majority of his weight loss is from muscle loss??Ugh. Very frustrating diagnosis. Awful.

Is this your only option in terms of internal medicine? I know I am spoiled with many good options in my area so I'd be moving on to someone else at this point. What if you took him to the ER? Would they have the ability to do the test sooner?

I'm sorry, I have no good advice or experience to add, but am pulling for your boy.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:bighug This certainly doesn't sound great. Hang in there. Is taking him to emerge for something like this an option?

Is this your only option in terms of internal medicine? I know I am spoiled with many good options in my area so I'd be moving on to someone else at this point. What if you took him to the ER? Would they have the ability to do the test sooner?

I'm sorry, I have no good advice or experience to add, but am pulling for your boy.

Same thoughts, exact same time.

A full ER facility might have this available for you. Smaller clinics around here don't even have x-ray machines, so perhaps go that route to one that is better stocked. Your poor boy.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015