Low Fat Diet, Lousy Skin, Great Coat

ok,a dilemma but not the end of the world.

felix and annie are no longer supplemented w/ fish oil, due to pancreatitis. their coats are FANTASTIC....thick, luxurious and felix has fur where he never had fur before. BUT their skin now stinks....dandruff, flaky, something that i'm not used to. he is eating not what i would love to feed him, purina pro plan adult(it agrees with his gut) cut w/ lower protein science diet longevity for his kidneys.

his blood workup came back much improved w/ the reduction in protein addition of rice and inclusion of the pro plan. but i'm not happy with the out come a couple of months down the road. and that's when drastic changes usually show up.

i have read that many GT owners dogs are doing well on the longevity as a substitute for the costly KD diets. Also, fat wise mine seem to tolerate the 12% currently, he was skin and bones on 8-10% fat but does not do well with 14%+ fat content. my vet spoke to a nutritionist who recommended boosting his carb for the kidney issue. he is still eating rice which i periodically make as part of their meals.

suggestions or is this just a bad case of shedding since the weather is so wonky. mine do produce dander when they blow coats, but not like this, it's a head and shoulder commercial out there!!

thanks in advance.

I wonder if brushing in a skin conditioner would help at all??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He also might require more bathing than a dog that can regulate their skin from the inside. I barely need to bath mine as they almost never smell stinky or get dirty beyond what a brushing can take care of, but he might need something like oatmeal shampoo to calm things down, along with a skin conditioning conditioner to help stay clean and fresh smelling.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

i'm taking them to the vet this week. i hope it's not walking mange or lice. how they could have picked this up, who knows, but i bathed them well last night after serious brushing since the last post and i'm looking to determine if this could be : 1. a result of the frontline gold, 2. nutritional(but why would i have this change, they have been on the same diet for a year), 3.a parasite!!!

Nothing alive in that dander. The vet gave me the ok to slowly introduce omega 3 fish oils. I do notice that there was a drastic change after I started the frontline gold, but no one else has made the correlation. And Felix is still positive for anaplsmosis 😣. So, another month of antibiotics.

Have any of you used the good old fashioned Nupro supplements? It's loaded with vitamins, probiotics and EFA.