Deramax Side Effects

Almost two weeks ago my 13yr old Sky had surgery to remove a lump on her right side in front of her thigh and two small bumps. The large was cancerous and contained, not the spreading type but can come back. Any way she was given Tramadol for pain and she was panting all night so we switched her to Deramax which she had after her last surgery.

She was doing great recouping besides the bruising and swelling in her legs that was expected. On Sunday, 4 days after starting her Deramax I noticed dark red blood in her urine and her bruising/redness was moving up her body and down her legs. Her back paws were so swollen and red I was afraid if she scraped them she would bleed. I went to the vet on Mon a.m. and found she was having a side effect of the Deramax, she was losing hemoglobin, it was seeping through the cells. I gave her another dose of the Deramax on Sunday so the vet couldn't do the steroid like he would have to counter act it all. She wasn't a transfusion candidate, she was on the low end of normal levels. It also took about 48hrs for the bruising to absorb and her urine to become yellow again. Unfortunaley, with all this she hasn't eaten much and now is below her racing weight, trying for her appetite to improve, feeding her what she wants. Part of this is due to the anitbiotic she was put on at the 2nd visit and the side effect is upset stomach. The good thing about her not feeling well, she hasn't licked any of the stitches and hasn't pulled any of them out and hasn't needed the shielded muzzle. She still has some weakness of the right back leg, going to get an adjustment in a week and see how that goes.

So if you see any signs of increase swelling and redness more than bruising, avoid the last dose and get your pup to the vet to diagnose the issue.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

I wouldn't blame the post bleeding solely on the deramaxx--it sounds like you girl had a post operative greyhound syndrome condition.

The medical treatment for that is not steroids it's a drug called Amicar. Amicar helps to strengthen clots. Your vet may also find it interesting to know that your dog will still have normal clotting factors. Dr Couto has done intensive research in that area.

I'm sure someone else will be able to provide you a link on the condition.

Hope your girl feels better-offer a jar of chicken baby food to see if that sparks her appetite (rotisserie chicken works well too!)

no suggestions just hugs and prayers coming from just outside Chicago to your girl :grouphug:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

thank you, Sky is doing better, swelling subsided after some homeopathic remedies and a canine massage, stopped the antibiotic due to poor appetite. Her appetite is getting back, she is starting to get her spirit and will to do a little digging back. She still has a fluid collection in her right leg that appeared again after the swelling went down and is going down slowly. This irritates her and being the weaker leg, having the extra weight on it doesn't help. My happy girl is on her way back... :ghplaybow

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.