Allergies Have Us At The End Of Our Rope

Guest stereosilence

Yep, I crush Johnny's up and put it in a peanut butter sandwich.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest stereosilence

Eugene ate half the trifexis straight and gave him a spoon of peanut butter to get the rest of it. Euge is a good pill taker. I always just stick them down his throat. My wife is too scared/grossed out by that and usually does the peanut butter method.

• 1 month later...
Guest equuslvr

I just got around to reading this post. My boy has been plagued with a chronic red, itchy, bumpy belly rash since we adopted him 2 years ago. He is naturally bald on his belly and back thighs. Believe me when I say that I have spent thousands (not exaggerating) of $$ trying to figure out the culprit, and that includes going to 3 holistic vets plus my local vet, plus consulting with vets online. That also includes the fresh raw diet of 9 months (which didn't work out and just drained my wallet even more). He's had a full thyroid panel done twice through MSU, and although he is really on the low end of the range, he currently is not truly hypothyroid. (I will have him retested again at the end of this year, as his last results were a little worse than the previous one). Rydell is my 5th retired racer over the last 18 years, and the first one who has had this problem. Then a few weeks ago, his eye started running and he was squinting it. Turned out it was an ulcer and he got treated for that. But after the ulcer healed, his eye would still run whenever I stopped the neo/poly/dex eye drops. So, he clearly has allergies, but to what??? He ended up getting an injection of Cytopoint, which stops the itching pathway. It does not cure the cause, but it will stop the dog from scratching so the skin has a chance to heal. The dog may require more than one injection 4-6 weeks after the initial one, but it depends on each individual dog. Rydell has only had 1 injection and I don't plan on him having another one. He also was put on a low dose, 10-day course of prednisone. Of course the pred healed everything and his tummy hadn't looked so clear since we adopted him, but you can't keep a dog (a young one anyway) on pred for a long time.

Food trials MUST be kept very strict and given a solid 6-8 weeks of trial. Blood allergy tests I've been told by my dermatologist vet that they are not reliable. Skin tests are a little better. Rydell could be allergic to our carpet, but we really don't have a way to test for that. He lived in Florida before retirement, and is now in Ohio. We are taking him with us on vacation next month to Florida, so it will be interesting to see if his belly rash truly clears up. As far as food, I've eliminated beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, potatoes, all grains. He was on a limited ingredient venison diet, but that wasn't helping, so he's now on duck and seems to be doing well (paws, fingers, toes crossed!!!) He's also on supplements, but that's another story.

Just wanted to share that Cytopoint might help your pup's scratching so the skin can start to heal. It's made by Zoetis - ask your vet about it and if they have been using it in their practice.

Guest fannysmom

We had a lab who passed at 13 last spring. We had so many allergy issues. We got the run around from so many vets. It's this, it's that, he needs this $100 Nah of food etc. Finally we took him to one guy who said this dog is allergic to probably many things, it's not his food. He was an itchy, smelly, fur falling out disaster. The vet said put him on prednisone, end of issue. And it was. He said it may shorten his life but he will be comfortable which is more important. He lived to over 13.

Just the regular vet. Is there a good derm vet that you know of in the Atlanta area?

Well, sorry I missed this the first time around. Bizarrely, even though I am in Maryland, I am aware of a good derm vet in the Atlanta area. Dr. Griffies travels to Rockville, MD once a month and uses our treatment area space (I'm with Bush Veterinary Neurology) to see clients up here in MD, but he is based in Marietta, GA. https://www.animaldermatology.com/veterinarian/38/Joel-Griffies

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Has he had a skin scraping? If I were you, I would get to the dermatologist. Worth their weight in gold.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."