Petzlife Or Tropiclean

Guest mcsheltie

I used the Tropiclean water additive for the first 2-3 years we had Sweep. It helped her breath and didn't have any negative side effects, but I don't think it did much for plaque so I stopped using it. She gets some sort of "dental" treat every day--a bully stick, beef trachea, dental bone from Trader Joe's (basically a Greenie knockoff), or a milkbone--and that seems more effective. That said, I also suspect she's one of the lucky ones genetics-wise. She gets compliments on her teeth every time we see the vet and hasn't needed a dental since retiring in 2012, and we have never been consistent about brushing her teeth.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

I used Petzlife for several years and I think it helped a bit - not hugely though. I switched to Tropiclean - the gel - and have been using that for a couple of years now. I apply it to both Lucas and Sox's teeth every night at bed time so that it stays longer in their mouth/on their teeth. In the morning I brush their teeth quickly with enzymatic toothpaste. Both Lucas and Sox are fairly new to me (both came home with me last October) and they both had a bit of plaque build up on some back teeth. After a few months of this protocol the teeth of both of them are looking much better. My vet will be pleased.