Chiropracter Experiences

Just wondering how Violet is doing? I've been thinking about her and hoping she's improving. And happy, of course!

Thank you so much for checking in! I'm sorry, I somehow missed this until now. We were actually at the vet this morning doing, among other things a blood draw to send out for a full tick panel. We continue to have issues, most of them muscular, it's sort of bizarre, so I have been meaning to post an update to sew if anyone had any new ideas.

On our end everyone has different advice so I'm pretty fed up. The folks at VOSM where she does her underwater treadmill are pushing for a Neuro consult, but that's another $500 easy for what I'm guessing will be no answers. I've already seen the ortho there twice, done x-rays and ultrasounds both shoulders. We're not doing an MRI at this point so the best we could do are spine x-rays. I would actually like them, but I don't want to pay $250 for the neuro consult to get them and they refused to just let our PT take them. So I decided to rule out TBDs first (not knowing the panel the vet suggested would cost me almost $300 :blink:) and we temporarily paused her underwater treadmill because the new issue seems to be her ilios are ridiculously tight!

The chiro comes again Thursday (we're still on an every other week schedule) and then her in home PT person, who I love comes Monday. Hopefully we'll have tick panel results by then too and can decide where to go from there. Whew. :blah

In the meantime, we also biopsied this weird spot on her chest where a growth had been so we're waiting on that too. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest LazyBlaze

Hmmm, that sounds very frustrating, and I'm sorry that Violet isn't doing better.

I'm not sure how much a neuro consult would be able to tell you without them doing an MRI (?). Spine x-rays don't always pick up certain movements of the vertebrae (depending on the direction). It can be a long expensive process to find 'nothing', but then again all the approaches can help to rule things out. Hope the tick panel comes back clear, even though it would be good for you to have some more positive answers for Violet.

Keep us posted with how she's doing. Hopefully she's still happy and is enjoying all her massages and treatments at least!

:ghplaybow

Edited by LazyBlaze

Hmmm, that sounds very frustrating, and I'm sorry that Violet isn't doing better.

I'm not sure how much a neuro consult would be able to tell you without them doing an MRI (?).

Thank you! And yes, this is a major part of my hesitation with the consult. I have already spent a lot of money running tests, etc. for them to basically just confirm that we ruled out certain things. Like the $500 we spent to ultrasound her shoulders so she could get the all clear to start the underwater treadmill. So $250 for a neurologist to say, well we can't say much without an MRI that I'm not going to do at this point (because of issues with her and anesthesia, plus what are the chances we'd find something that I would treat some other way than what we're already doing) just feels like throwing away money. I never make decisions about medical care based on finances, but when you've spent thousands of dollars, you start to be a little more discerning about where the money is best spent moving forward. Plus we've seen no noticeable improvement after 2+ weeks on Gabapentin. :dunno

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

and the tick panel?

i am amazed at what the vets are charging and also the testing that they require. any old fashioned vets out your way with lots of hands on experience who have "seen it all"?? it's also starting to sound like dr. couto might be an excellent resource. you have more than enough info to share with him.

We should have tick panel results Monday hopefully.

At this point I'm not seeing or contacting anyone else. I did think about Dr. Radcliffe, but right now I want no more cooks in the kitchen so to speak. :P Her chiro seems to think she got all out of whack and just needs more time to sort herself out. As skeptical as I am in general about the chiropractic stuff, I'm willing to just give that theory a chance for a bit (without the underwater treadmill complicating things) since she isn't really hurting. I'm going to stop the Gabapentin after she has her massage/cold laser Monday and so long as she doesn't get worse with that, we'll give it a bit of time.

I'm still open to feedback and other ideas though. If things persist past what we think is reasonable for the chiro theory, I will get the spine x-rays for sure.

TBD panel was of course normal, which is really a good thing.

She has improved steadily this week aside from a setback yesterday from playing really rough on Sunday. At this point, it's clear the current issue is her left iliopsoas muscle. So we're just going to treat it like an ilio strain - continue rest, PT, and add in some exercises - and see where we get. I'm stopping the Gabapentin today and adding in a natural anti-inflammatory (Curcumin). Also going to add some more stuff to her diet that will support joints, tissue, etc. - chicken feet, duck heads, trachea, etc. So we'll see where that gets us. :goodluck