Grey Vomits From Drinking Water Only

Guest Beezersgirl

Guest Beezersgirl

My grey has been vomiting for 2-3 months now. She can't drink water at all or vomits immediately. I even tried ice chips and she still vomits from a very small portion of water. I now soak her food in water so she doesn't get dehydrated. So far we've had several X-rays done, an ultrasound which shows an enlarged spleen and fluid in her abdomen. Some fluid was taken for testing and I should have those results by tomorrow. The vet just doesn't know what is wrong and is leaning towards cancer. She isn't acting abnormally to me at all and I don't want her to keep suffering. She is so thirsty and licks anything wet. Any help you can give is appreciated.

How old is your girl?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Beezersgirl

She is only 6.

She has also dropped 8 lbs in the last month but she was vomiting all her food after drinking water. Giving her food soaked in water has been keeping it down and I'm hoping she'll gain some weight back.

Dr Couto will work with your vet. Send him all the info you have so far regarding symptoms, labs, and results. He often responds quickly no matter where he is in the world. He is amazing.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I assume from the Xrays your vet has ruled out megaesophagus? My 11 year old boy Chase has had it for over two years. It was caused by hypothyroidism and is now well managed for the most part. Below is a recipe for Knox Blocks, which dogs with megaesophagus use as a fluid replacement. You might try this until you figure out what's going on with your pup. Good luck.

GELATIN BLOCKS

Gelatin Blocks are a wonderful way to provide your ME dog with hydration if water is on the NO-NO list. They also make a nice treat on hot days!

You Need:

1 cup cold low sodium chicken or beef broth (to make it tasty for your pup!)

4 packages of unflavored gelatin 3 cups of boiling liquid (You can use more broth here, combined with water, or just more water)

Make it:

Pour a cup of cold broth into a 9 x 11 or 9 x 13 baking pan

Sprinkle 4 packages of gelatin into cold broth and stir Add 3 cups of boiling liquid and stir until the gelatin is dissolved

Refrigerate until solid - approximately 3 hours

Slice the firm gelatin into pieces (squares of a "swallowable" size per your pup)

Refrigerate until used

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.