Growling & Snapping On Walk

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Hello, it's been awhile since I've been here. Some background. Took Rubble home a little under a year a half ago. He resource guards. Worked on that and he's made lots of progress...we can play with toys together now!

He's also vocal when he's uncomfortable about space invasions--a low growl. I've learned what he does and does not like and always back off a growl, never punish. Subsequently, haven't gotten a growl in months and months.

Tonight on our walk he statued after smelling a small piece of bread (it was dark). I don't ever let him eat things off the ground as who knows what it's potentially been covered with. I attempted to keep walking as usual. He lunged and snapped. He didn't bite but that is definitely the most aggressive he's ever gotten with me. I definitely will start carrying some high value treats again as a lure away if necessary. Any other thoughts? Thought we had made progress :(

I would say you have made progress, but probably only with his indoor environment and resources. He can't transfer what he's learned to yummy outside resources. Using the same training will probably have the same results. Carrying a super great treat that you only use in guarding incidents is what I would do.

You didn't say *why* he snapped at you. Did you lean over him or otherwise get in his space in addition to threatening his found food? Think about what you should do differently the next time and have a plan.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You might consider trying a head halter--one brand is "Halti" and another is "Gentle Leader." These make it nearly impossible for a dog to snap and bite because when you apply pressure, they gently tighten up around the snount (versus the neck) and close the dog's mouth.

They're not intended to be a muzzle--they're based on the premise that where the dog's head goes, his body must follow. But we used one on a very unpredictable Lab we used to have. 95 pounds of "I like who I like, and maybe today it's you, and maybe it isn't!" (He actually bit two people).

I'd use a martingale on a Greyhound in conjunction with it, since I'm not 100% confident they're a great fit on greyhound heads.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

About 4 months ago on a walk my grey snatched a small bouncey ball from the ground. Usually, I can use the drop it command and he does it. NO! We were close to home so I figured if he just keeps it in his mouth without chewing or trying to eat it, I could pull out the chicken (his highest value treat) and swap him for it.

All was going fine until, he pulled about a foot ahead of me, then he turned and was growling at me. So I stopped got to as far back as the leash would allow it. he still growled, I avoided eye contact and then wondered what to do. I knew he took we as a threat at this point, but I was so worried he'd choke on the ball. So I just tried the last thing I could think of. I turned my back to him. BAM! Ball was dropped and happy bouncey greyboy was back, tail wags, and he just strutted by that ball without a backwards glance.

I needed some time to get over it, but he was just over it right away.

HE once carried a corn cob all the way home and traded up for a cookie. I always have a cookie in my pocket now but that ball was just the best thing and cookie was not a trade up.

Guest Rubbles_Mom

I have an interesting update. Ended up taking him to the vet this evening when he cut the webbing between his toes. Turns out that the other day when he "stubbed" his toe, a nasty purple bruise formed. I knew he was in pain this evening when he wouldn't let me touch it (he could normally care less when I dremel) and growled when I went back there. So I can imagine that after a 30 min brisk walk he was in a lot of pain last night. I think that is what gave him a shorter trigger than usual regarding the resource guarding.

But I do agree that he hasn't transferred his "skills" to outside so I'm going to do more explicit training on that outside. And I will never again leave the house without something fabulous to trade up.

Thanks for the gentle leader suggestion, my dog growing up used one and I think that could be a good addition for walks.