Creatine Kinase And Ast

Does anyone know what the normal range for greyhounds in regards to Creatine Kinase and AST? Pogo was supposed to get his 3rd chemo treatment on Tuesday but did not because of decreased neutrophils. When I received the discharge instructions for Pogo it stated that he had slightly increased creatine kinase and AST numbers.

His Creatine Kinase is at 588 U/L and his AST is at 62 U/L

According to Dr. Couto, Pogo's neutrophils were ok for receiving his chemo treatment. I guess I am going to have to educate his oncologist on greyhounds while I am still learning about bone cancer. Pogo is our first greyhound with bone cancer. Icabod had hemangiosarcoma and Scarlett had mesenchymal spindle cell sarcoma (no idea if I spelled that correctly). That makes 3 of 7 dogs we have experienced different cancers with in almost a 27 year period.

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Don't confuse the CK with Creatinine. The ck can greyty increase simply from them shaking awhile waiting for their appointment and can decrease just as quickly.

I don't see a reference range for the ast but it doesn't sound high.

I wanted to add that the ast may be increased from his chemo treatments ;-)

It's a little upsetting that this Dr called you if these results and didn't explain the cause of the elevation.

Edited by tbhounds

I just checked one of our past pathology reports, and it says the reference interval for AST is 21-53 U/L and for creatine kinase it's 22-491 U/L. These intervals are non-breed specific, however.

In "Clinical pathology of Greyhounds and other sighthounds" (2011), OSU reported reference intervals for greyhounds of 24-57 U/L for AST and 76-254 U/L for creatine kinase. This was from a sample of 100 greyhounds.

I just checked one of our past pathology reports, and it says the reference interval for AST is 21-53 U/L and for creatine kinase it's 22-491 U/L. These intervals are non-breed specific, however.

In "Clinical pathology of Greyhounds and other sighthounds" (2011), OSU reported reference intervals for greyhounds of 24-57 U/L for AST and 76-254 U/L for creatine kinase. This was from a sample of 100 greyhounds.

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)