We Can Sit But

Guest xengab

Xengab, you may already be doing this, but when practicing longer "down" durations, try offering multiple treat rewards rapidly to help him hold the position, then slow the timing of the treat rewards.

Try to "release" him before he moves out of position. If he jumps up, calmly start over and release him quickly so he succeeds, Next repeat, try holding a treat slightly above his head and lowering it to his mouth for him to eat. If he jumps up, withhold the reward. Calmly ask him to do another "down" and end on a positive note. Keep training sessions short <5-10 minutes.

Fortunately, your hound appears to be young, happy-go-lucky and tolerant of human's close physical behavior. Good idea to watch any dog for their stressful calming signals so you'll have an idea when he might prefer more space. (Yawning, quick lip licks, looking away from a human, whale eye -- seeing whites of their eye, etc.)

Side note in response to others re: tuck and fold sit:

Many positive reinforcement trainers are no longer teaching the old T&F method. Not worth the common bite risk, especially when teaching adult dogs.

We've had a number of hounds come through that would not tolerate the personally space invasive forced physical manipulation of a tuck and fold, especially from a new owner whose dog doesn't yet fully trust their new owner.

One of our own hounds tried to bite a previous foster parent when they attempted a tuck and fold. Same result when they attempted a rear-end push down. Each time forced negative methods occur, it can intensify a dog's distrust of humans, taking longer to overcome. Some dogs tolerate it, others do not. Rewarding natural capturing methods are more kind, build trust, and are more successful. :)

Have you read Kathleen Gilley's hug-and-fold tutorial? If you're using force or eliciting a bite, you're doing it wrong.

Not sure where all these people are coming from, using force to make a dog of any breed sit. Perhaps a matter of adopter education.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ragsysmum, we have taught sit as an amusing thing to do, nothing about proving we're the boss. We also teach things like lie down, shake hands, pounce on the toy, take a bow, etc. -- things to do when the weather isn't conducive to playing outside or when we want a little mental exercise. I don't personally see a NEED for a dog to sit on command, but it is something that most can learn and have no real trouble with.

This. And, dogs *love* to learn new stuff!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest xengab

He is very much a touch me dog. He will come and put his body against mine any chance he gets. If I kneel on the ground, he comes and wraps his body around mine. Been like that since day 1. He actually stamps his feet like a toddler if you stop patting him. I sat on the floor lastnight and he sniffed my head, then lay with as much body touching me as he could. He does the same with my husband too.

It takes very little pressure at the back of his knees to get him to fold. Takes more pressure to get his nose away from my face (he loves to touch nose to nose).

I also massage him each day, never once has he shown any signs of wanting to move away or being stressed. Quite the opposite. I joke with the rescue group that he didnt get the racing greyhound handbook. He fetches, he sits, he loves being touched and he hugs (head over my shoulder, he always initates it).

He sat while having his nails trimmed lastnight, no one told him too but he chose too. LOL I did give him a treat for doing it.

Each dog is different, I've worked in a shelter I've dealt with many breeds just never a greyhound. I know to watch body language for ANY animal. What works for one wont work for another. Can't really force an 83lb dog to do much anyway, no way I could get him to sit if he chose not too.