Swollen Glands

Guest Kryspen

We took Pebbles into our home about a month ago. She appears to have some swollen glands at the base of her neck. They seem to be very tender. I put 3 fingers under her collar last night just to check it and she yelped. She's also yelped several times when we've been putting her walking collar & lead on. I admit she's badly in need of some dental work. Could that be the cause of the swelling?

Guest MeAndMouse

I would take her to the vet. It could be an infection, inflammation or lymphoma. Dental infection is definitely a possibility. If it's only a few that are enlarged I would think it's most likely an infection.

Does she have any other symptoms?

Get her in now. If it's an infection, you want it under control, if it's lymphoma (crossed fingers), getting her into a doctor sooner is still better than later, both in terms of a possible outcome & her comfort right away (like literally, tomorrow she'll be more comfortable probably, depending on what the root).

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Rereading your original post, if she's yelping in pain and her teeth are in bad shape, that's the more likely culprit, and a way better outcome than lymphoma. But I still say, either way, to the vet tomorrow if at all possible, for her own good and so you know what's going on.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Well we took her to the vet and had a long discussion with him as to what might be wrong, what it would cost (which left us needing to consult the bank). He then gave us some antibiotics for her. We started her on the course straightaway and, lo and behold, the glands are going down already!!