Cerenia Question

Personal experience on how quickly a Cerenia injection actually makes the animal feel better? I found good info on relief of symptoms in studies in terms of days, but I'm wondering about how fast with the first injection.

This is a cat, but would love any input. Thanks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We're 4 hrs in and I feel like I'm seeing a notable difference. I was asking because I didn't want to start offering more novel foods before it has a chance to work it's magic, but he started acting really hungry so I went for it. Could also be that he hasn't had thyroid medication since yesterday morning because I couldn't get him to eat treats.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Tigger was better almost immediately.

In his case, the lad had thrown up all night after an obedience lesson using string cheese as a training treat on an empty stomach. (It's how I found out he is lactose-intolerant.) He had dinner after the training, threw up all night, and was still throwing up in the morning. We went to the vet for a shot -- he screamed :( -- and he didn't vomit any more after the shot. I let him have regular meals after that.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It worked within an hours time with Pistol. He was able to drink and keep it down with no problems.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks. It is definitely working. Eating a lot more and playing! He was definitely feeling nauseous from his pain meds.

I have heard it stings. In cats they can give it in subQ fluids to reduce that, which is what my vet did. I didn't have a chance to ask her if he reacted, but he was NOT happy when she brought him out. But by the time we got home 20 min later he was fine.

Thanks. It is definitely working. Eating a lot more and playing! He was definitely feeling nauseous from his pain meds.

I have heard it stings. In cats they can give it in subQ fluids to reduce that, which is what my vet did. I didn't have a chance to ask her if he reacted, but he was NOT happy when she brought him out. But by the time we got home 20 min later he was fine.

Little trick we learned is to keep the cerenia bottle in the fridge--takes some of the sting out ;-) IDK-maybe your vet does that already? Edited by tbhounds

Little trick we learned is to keep the cerenia bottle in the fridge--takes some of the sting out ;-) IDK-maybe your vet does that already?

I read that as well. I didn't ask her. She had stayed past closing to wait for me so I was trying to be as efficient as possible. :)

I tell people to not feed or give oral medications for 1-2 hours after injection. So far, so good.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!