Marking In The House- New Behavior.

Guest hankthetank

Guest hankthetank

Hi Everybody,

We've had Hank about 9 months now. When my wife & I would leave for work, we always crated him. A couple months ago he actually dismantled his crate from the inside out. When we came home he was laying on his bed sleeping. We got the message loud & clear so since then we took down the crate & have been leaving him in the livjng room, radio on, with his basket on (we have a cat that he's not entirely at peace with yet). No problems, everything had been rosy for about a month & a half.

Starting a couple weeks ago, he started peeing in the house when we were gone (he never even attempts it when we are around). At first it would be once a week in the same spot. Now it has become every other day & in different places. I always let him out to go right before I leave (and he always does).

We are both teachers so his routine changes quite a bit when we are on summer vacation. We're obviously home much more but with school starting back up in a couple weeks, I fear that this is going to be something that we will come home to every day. I REALLY don't want to put him back in his crate again for safety purposes.

What do we do here? How do we control a behavior that only happens when we aren't around? Particularly one that has started within the last month? He just had shots, a physical, the whole 9 yards, so I'm fairly certain it's not health related. The markings are always on walls, furniture, etc. never just a puddle on the floor.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Guest normaandburrell

Have you tried a belly band? You put a poise pad in it, he pees, and instead of marking he winds up with an uncomfortable wet belly. Once you get home, you take it off and let him out. He learns marking just makes him uncomfortable.

Unless they did a urine sample at his checkup, he could have a UTI. Worth getting checked for as the test is short money.

Assuming he's OK, a belly band provides negative, immediate feedback! Just make sure you use a human incontinence pad in it (Poise pad, as noted above) and something else, as those are meant to hold urine.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'll second the belly band recommendation. Our guy has never once even attempted to mark in any of the 4 places we have lived with him, but he goes right for it if we go to a house with another dog. The belly band works wonders, and after a few hours, he's fine for the entire rest of the visit. It won't hamper his movement either - Marvin went through his first 3 or 4 full agility classes with his band on...b/c he was THAT dog the first time we went. Good luck!