Deer Poop And Parasites

Guest marmarsmom

Guest marmarsmom

We live out in the country and have a family of deer that routinely visit our yard. Occasionally my boy will indulge in some deer poop. Anyone have thoughts on how to keep him away? Also, any potential parasite issues? He's had worms twice, but my vet said that the deer poop isn't to blame. I tend to think otherwise, because they're wild animals and surely have some parasites in their poo. Thankfully his taste for it is decreasing as he gets older. He's only a year and three months so I'm hoping once he's out of this puppy stage he'll be more discerning of what he eats. LOL.

Thanks!

They do like weird and disgusting things. Yuck! Sounds like your pup needs to be on a leash when in your yard with whatever adult is with him not allowing him to graze. It'll be no different than people like me who walk our dogs. Annie is on a leash. She is not allowed to graze on anything but grass.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest WildSparkler

You can also get stool guards to put in a basket muzzle that prevents them from eating poo or anything else nasty when outside!

Guest marmarsmom

Ah, I was thinking of getting the poop guard. The muzzle is probably the best thing we've purchased, especially because it's helped keep him from chewing a couple of tears he's gotten while doing zoomies. :)

my brothers dog got seriously ill from eating a bunch of deer poop at once, I'm not sure if it can be toxic to dogs but be careful. Sorry I dont remember the exact reason for it making the dog so sick.

Oh, gosh that's terrible. I try to make sure he doesn't get it, but at times he manages to sneak a bite.