Advantage Multi?

Guest WildSparkler

Guest WildSparkler

So we are battling against some very persistent hookworms with my girl. We tried panacur, and doses of pyrantel. She has also been on Heartgard Plus for 4 months with no effect. Hooks are still there. The vet suggested there are different species of hooks, and maybe what we have tried so far isn't getting the right species, or during the right lifestages, etc.. So she suggested we try Advantage Multi, which is a monthly topical treatment that kills multiple parasites (and different species of hooks) and fleas. (Which will replace her Heartgard). Has anyone used this med for their grey and has it had any effect on hooks? Or..what else have you tried that has worked for persistent hooks?

I used Advantage Multi for my dogs for nearly two years, but hookworms weren't the problem so I can't speak to how well it worked for them. Heartgard Plus gave my girl diarrhea every month, so I went to Advantage Multi because it was a topical and it didn't cause any problems for my dogs. I'll warn you that it doesn't prevent ticks, and it smells awful (worse than Frontline Plus). I always put a bandanna on my dogs when I treated them to remind me not to pet in the oily spot, but frankly, the smell was just about reminder enough. Advantage Multi contains moxidectin and imidacloprid, which are not the ingredient in Heartgard Plus (which is ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate).

Just this month, we've changed over to Interceptor. My girl used to take that without a problem (until Novartis stopped making it), and she's been fine with the first dose. Interceptor is another oral med (but no longer made by Novartis). My dogs have all dodged hookworm problems, and I don't know whether we've just been lucky, or if Advantage Multi and/or Interceptor have been effective. Interceptor contains milbemycin oxime.

The reason I'm changing from Advantage Multi is that my dogs are therapy dogs. I need to be able to schedule their topical treatments around therapy events, but I didn't like being that imprecise about when they got their heartworm meds. With Interceptor, I can give it precisely on the 1st of the month, but shift the Frontline Plus (or whatever) a few days earlier or later than the 15th (or change over to Bravecto) to accommodate their therapy schedules and required baths and whatnot.

Since Advantage Multi gave my dogs no problems and is a different set of ingredients than what's in Heartgard Plus, I don't see any reason not to try it. But if it doesn't help, keep Interceptor in mind since that would be a different ingredient than you've tried so far.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have no problem with parasites, but I've used Advantage Multi for years. It is what my vet stocks and recommends now because of what he says is its superiority for internal parasites over all other heartworm meds.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest WildSparkler

Yeah, we haven't had her for a year yet, and we think the hooks are still there from Alabama when she came off the track. Glad to hear other people use it, just hope it helps to finally get rid of these pesky things!

We had a persistent case of hookworm for which the standard treatments hadn't worked. Our vet called his old parasitology prof from Cornell and then, based on his high opinion of its potential (when it was new), put him on Advantage Multi. A year later the dog still had hookworms. Interceptor worked much better, and we're delighted that Elanco is making it now. Other than that, using heavier-than-label Panacur (5 to 7 days at a time instead of 3)is good for clearing the acute state, as much as one can with long-standing hookworm, and repeat at 3 weeks. Interceptor then keeps up with the housekeeping, so to speak, every month. Panacur may still have to be repeated two or three times a year, and Drontal is also something to switch off to occasionally to pick off any worms that have developed resistance.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest WildSparkler

Thanks for the advice! So should we start the Advantage Multi and run another round of the Panacur? I just ordered the Advantage Multi yesterday. Cause the Advantage Multi is a once a month, so I was curious if it would be enough on its own to get rid of them all.

We do not have a fenced yard, and walk for all of our potties, so we have to scoop up the poo every time:)

Given my experience, I can't recommend that you use Advantage Multi at all. Don't know if you can cancel the order and get Interceptor instead (available online, usually with a prescription). Our experience is that it won't be enough on its own. If anything, I'd start with the Panacur. And follow up with the monthly instead of the other way around.

Hooks are so hard to get rid of completely! Have you done a search about them here in the archives or elsewhere on line? In the end you'll have to just keep after them!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest WildSparkler

Shoot, it is too late to cancel the order..and no refunds! I have read a little bit about them, and have seen how difficult they can be. I think from what I have read is that hooks migrate through the body, right? So if they are not in the intestines when given panacur, does it have much of an effect?

Shoot, it is too late to cancel the order..and no refunds! I have read a little bit about them, and have seen how difficult they can be. I think from what I have read is that hooks migrate through the body, right? So if they are not in the intestines when given panacur, does it have much of an effect?

Both those meds will be absorbed systemically.

I use Advantage Multi on Ruby and have for many years. She has never had any worms or other pests since we have had her and there has been no ill effects either. I just have to make sure I put it on her before she goes to bed (she sleeps in her crate) so that she doesn't roach and get it all rubbed off before it has time to soak in.

Karen

• 6 years later...

Broad-spectrum 1 month flea & tick + heartworm prevention: Advantage Multi helps control fleas, gastrointestinal worms arcoptic mange and demodicosis at Fuury Ball. A Complete protect inrich with Imidacloprid & Moxidectin as active Ingredients effective against adult and larval stages. check out budgetpetcare to know Advantage Multi Price. Vet Recommended best seller product of the year.