Skinny Guy

Guest AH710

Guest AH710

OK, ya'll...please bear with me, but I have another food question and hope I don't give you a book of background. My newest guy has been with me since December and came at 69 pounds, he has managed to gain up to 73 pounds, but I can still see all his ribs and his hip bones stick out too much for my liking. He just turned 3 and when I went to the vet freaking out about a lump on his ankle (thank god the tests came back clear of osteo!), she wasn't too concerned since he is gaining and acting normal. He is a high energy boy that never actually raced. Him and my older hound are free fed Iams green bag as that is the only thing that works for my older guys tummy. They each get 2 cups am and 2 cups pm but mostly graze and it seems like the newer one is only eating about 1/2 to 3/4 of that. I tried feeding him mostly from his kong as he liked the PB, but he still never finishes it. So, I guess I'm looking for advice on some food that can fill him out a bit and that he will actually want to finish. What do your pups like? He's super food motivated with treats, but not the kibble so I think I need to try something else. Also, any advice on feeding two dogs two different foods when they are free fed? I may have to try feeding them on a schedule I think so I can keep one out of the others dish. Anyway thanks for reading the rambling and I appreciate any input! I'll try to post a pic but never figured it out lol

Before changing the food I would suggest that you stop free feeding. Is there a particular reason why you do it?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest AH710

Hmm, I used to and think I'll have to try going back to it. No real reason I stopped, other than being a softy and they didn't wake up to eat before I left for work. Then, I guess it wasn't really "free feeding" as they were in crates away from food but I've been working from home since last month so now it's in the bowls all the time. Thanks for the advise and I'll give it a go before switching food :)

And that way you'll be able to see just how much your new boy has been eating and whether his brother has been scarfing down new boy's portion too.

Keep us posted. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

For gaining weight I give linseed over the meals, one teaspoon each meal. Since I feed raw meat, vegetables, fruits, potatoes, noodles and rice (I don't now the english word for it), My greys stopped having problems with weight or with their fur.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).