Wanting Out In The Wee Hours

Guest Hunter0723

Guest Hunter0723

Does anyone out there have an older greyhound who wines to wake them between midnight at 4am wanting to be let out to pee?

I know some don't like them but in my book the dog door is one of the greatest inventions known to man. The freedom not to play doorman is priceless. Sometimes Cody goes out at night and sleeps for a while on the deck like he's camping out.

In fifteen years the only things that didn't live here that have come in were two different chow mixes that would climb their fences then mine when it stormed. Blackie just stayed in the kitchen and went home of his own accord after the storm was over. I'd have to take Angel 6 or 8 houses down the next morning. Still can't figure out how Angel knew to come in here unless twilight barking actually exists. :) It was quite a surprise when a soaking wet dog jumped on top of me at 4 a.m.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Peggy has often wanted to be let out from the age of about 18 months to now nearly 8 years. It's not necessarily to pee, more to look for hedgehogs or see of invading cats and maybe foxes. There's a difference between a real pee and a faux pee.... the marking one only takes about half as long. In all my years of owning dogs, the reason for asking to be let out in the small hours is never made particularly plain. Oh... maybe the let-me-out-right now-because- of-a-tummy-upset! involves full mind control :lol

How old is old? Does she pee a lot or just mark, which takes about 2 seconds. If you don't respond to her whining, what does she do? Maybe she's cold or hungry instead of having to pee. Just an idea.

Guest TheGirlz

Yes our Tessa is 11yo and is on incontinence medication. So we get that call between 12 and 4.30am most nights. Luckily we have a door that goes from the bedroom to outside which we just open for her, she comes in when finished and flops on her bed. Surprisingly when it's stormy she seems to be able to cross her legs and hold on all night!!!! Regardless if she wakes us during the night we always let her out due to the incontinence, but at least now on medication it's only once a night rather than the 3 times we where doing. The times we held out and didn't let her out she peed on the carpet by the door :flip