Nexguard

Guest dancewkathylee

Guest dancewkathylee

Anyone had any trouble with nexguard and their greyhounds? I'm not sure but I think my girl may be getting tummy upset from it Last month I only gave her half the dose

The most common side effect from oral dewormers and tick medications is gastrointestinal. This isn't overly concerning if they only vomit once, or if diarrhea is mild. If the dog vomits more than 2 hours after the medication was given that's ok. If less than 2 hours you need to re-dose (and the company will reimburse you for the extra dose). Giving half the dose is ineffective, so you'd be better off switching to a different oral (Bravecto for example) or to a topical product (Advantix).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

No experience with Nexgard, but our two greys have been on Bravecto for almost a year now without any GI side effects. The label does say to give it with a meal, which we do, to facilitate absorption and avoid GI upset.

Victor

Guest sireltonsmom

Please change meds. Heart worm med is not one to possibly overdose by re dosing. Nexguard had given a lot of greyohere problems. Good luck.

I have been giving my two greys Nexgard for a while with no problems. (This is for fleas and ticks, not heartworm.)

I agree, you need to give the full amount for their weight. If you suspect Nexgard is giving a problem, call your vet and ask. I am assuming that you get the meds from them.

Also, you may already be doing this, but space out the medications, i.e. heartworm and flea/tick as I feel it is easier on them. I do mine two weeks apart.

I give Nexgard to Redbo, and there haven't been any issues so far! I also space out his heartworm and flea/tick medications (about a week apart), and he seems to be doing fine.

There are plenty of options out there, so if you're not 100% about this one, definitely see what else you can try.

Edited by TXRedbo

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png