Wormer Made Dog Sick

Guest Amber

Guest Amber

Hi all, I've tried two different wormers with Fey, one a tablet i forget the name, it made her vomit. So this time round i used Panacur granules, triple checked dosage (3 x 4.5 g sachets in a single dose: 1 sachet per 10kg bodyweight, she is 26kg).

She was even sicker with panacur, every last bit of her dinner came up a few hours after giving the granules in her food and this morning she doesn't want breakfast (i also think she knows i poisoned her!).

With my previous greyhounds, Drontal made them sick but they were fine with panacur. So am at a loss which wormer to use in future . Does it still work even if they vomit a few hours later? Obv i don't want her to be sick, kind of messy for me and distressy for her.

Drontal made mine sick too, but they've been OK with Milbemax. Never used Panacur. The other thing I would do is only give as much as they need: eg if Fey is 26kg she only really needed a little over 2.5 sachets. I know the instructions probably say to give 3 sachets, but I don't see any reason why they should have more than they actually need. I would do this with tablets too.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Amber

Ok thanks. I wondered if i was meant to give 1 sachet over 3 consecutive days but I've re checked the label and that is for pups under 6 months, it deffo says give all the granules in one dose for adult dogs.

I'm not sure if she has a worm problem, but she's looking skinny and eating a lot, so thought it'd be a good plan to worm.

She's due a booster soon so I'll ask the vet if they can recommend one that's less likely to make her sick, or try the one you've had l6ck with.

How much is it there to get a fecal test? Really cheap here, so we almost never give a wormer unless something shows up visually or on the test. But, we do give monthly meds for heartworm that are effective in preventing some other worms too; very low dose because it targets the more susceptible life stage.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sireltonsmom

I agree with Batmom that medicating a greyhound for worms when you aren't sure if she has them. The test is well worth it and different meds are recommended for different worms - Panacur is mostly for hookworms. Heartguard Plus is supposed to keep a dog from being reinfected with worms. Hope you get to the bottom (no pun intended) of this. Good luck.

Guest Amber

Don't know how much a fecal test is, the usual advice over here in UK is to routinely worm your dog every 3 months as a preventative. I don't, i probably worm about once / twice a year and Frontline for fleas about 2 or 3 x a year . Ticks i pick off if any, but i think I'm correct in saying we don't have tick bourne diseases here so they are not dangerous.

I see some use an on the spot that kills all parasites, including mites and worms called Advocate , from vet or prescription only, once monthly (no ingestion so might be good option for fey) but that seems like a lot of strong chemicals to use so frequently.

Think I'll ask vet about all this when we go for jabs.

Guest Rose29

I had a cat that would be sick from worming tablet. I think in the end we used stronghold which is an on the spot treatment, it does fleas worms ticks etc and that seemed to work. We used the same for our dog (doggy version of stronghold) at the time because it was easier to have them both on the same. He was terrier rather than a grey but we never had any problems from using it.