The Dogs Ate Horse Vitamins

Guest Scouts_mom

Guest Scouts_mom

My sister just called. It seems while she was at work today her two collies got into her stuff and ate 1 1/2 days worth of multivitamins and vitamin E capsules that she had individually packaged to take to the barn tonight for her horse. Her horse is one-half Belgian and huge, so this was a very large dosage of vitamins. She found online that there is no known toxicity to vitamin E, but multivitamins are a different story. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

The dogs are acting normally and ate dinner fine. She has no idea when during the day they got into the pills so there is no point in trying to make them vomit the pills.

I suggested she call the ASCPA Poison Hotline. They do charge a lot but it is cheaper than an unnecessary trip to the E-vet.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Definitely. Bridge angel Loca ate a bottle of vitamins. She spent the night at the event. Not only did they induce vomiting and give her charcoal, they had to check the mineral levels in her system every hour or so.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Given the resources of the ASPCA Poison Control Center, it is the best place to turn for immediate advice for this type of incident. The $65.00 fee may not only save the dogs, but may also end up saving you E-Vet fees for multiple dogs if their database indicates that the E-Vet will only be necessary if certain symptoms appear. That fee is money well spent in an event of this nature.

Hopefully she has spoken with them by now and the dogs are okay.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Scouts_mom

I just spoke with my sister. She did call the poison hotline and was very impressed by their database. They can look things up by manufacturer and had the horse vitamin information. The verdict was that, while the dog (which ever one it was) may feel horrible, vomit and have diarrhea tomorrow, it will be okay. Big relief.

Guest normaandburrell

That is good to hear. In Florida there have been two highly publicized events involving horses getting improper supplements that resulted in the animals dying. One was the death of several extremely valuable polo ponies. I imagine dogs too can be susceptible to this.

The ASPCA has an app for your phone, with some common items on it. Including a calculator for chocolate toxicity.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/disaster-preparedness/aspca-launches-mobile-app-pet-parents

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance