How Much Food To Feed?

Guest Winnie2014

Guest Winnie2014

I've been feeding Winnie Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato with some warm water - 1 cup in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. However, she has to be encouraged to finish her food in the morning and sometimes in the evenings. The recommended serving for her food is 3-4 cups for a 40-60 pound dog (the rescue told me to feed on the high end for a while but she just wouldn't eat most of it in the morning). I always pick up her food after 30 minutes.

She gets a XL Kong with a skinless/boneless boiled chicken thigh (loosely packed) in it morning and afternoon after I leave for work as well as some mini training treats (Zuke's) for our obedience sessions. We go on a 30 minute walk morning and afternoon (brisk, we haven't quite learned another speed yet).

She weighed 58 pounds at the vet when we went 2 weeks ago. I don't want to be feeding her TOO much food. Obviously I'm watching her waistline and her ribs/back.

She has also started shedding like crazy recently. The dandruff and dermatitis is about the same as when I got her, though I wonder if she's just shedding her farm coat and her new coat will come in. I don't want to add anything else to her food (as the pumpkin went straight through her) and her poop is firm and solid. I suppose it could be allergies, but we haven't had any bad reactions to lamb treats, chicken treats, or her turkey food (gastronomically).

I do have some of the Olewo Beets and Carrots on my counter. I was thinking of adding the beets to her food sometime this week when I'm home more often for the Thanksgiving holidays to see if it helps improve her coat some. Thoughts?

And Is she eating enough food/too much food? I suppose it's hard to tell from the internet, but I'm just trying to gauge how much theoretically she should be eating. I'll post some pictures later of what she looks like standing.

You need to feed your dog as much as they need to either lose, maintain or gain weight to maintain their ideal weight. This will vary according to what you are feeding, the activity level of your dog and the dog itself. So of my four, Hermon and Brandi sniff food and put on weight, Benny is only just starting to muscle up, but I'm watching him carefully because of his age, and Paige I could feed all day every day with no alteration in size or shape.

So, Paige gets 3-400 gm of meat per meal twice a day (raw feeding, 2% of her body weight would be 540 gm but she does need a bit more because she's a busybody and rarely still). Everyone else gets 400 gm twice a day. They get 45 minutes to an hour first thing in the morning before breakfast, and 10 - 30 minutes in the afternoon.

Guest Johberry

Someone correct me if I'm misinformed, but from what I understand it can take anywhere from weeks to months for retired racers to blow their kennel coats. We've had our boy for just 3 months and in the first 2 months, he shed A LOT. I've been pretty diligent about brushing him almost daily and his coat is now softer and his bald spots are starting to fill in. Some here suggest that Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil helps with the dandruff and such which is what we have been adding in his meals as a supplement. I think diet has to do with it as well? His hookworm battle is hopefully almost over and feeding him one raw meal a day also seems to be helping his coat and health overall (he gets a grain-free, potato-free kibble for his morning meal and raw in the evening). Perhaps, for him, it may just be a coincidence and it's just time that's been helping with dandruff and shedding. I'm sure experienced owners will chime in with better advice.

Edited by Johberry

Guest Winnie2014

Thanks for the advice!

I'm wondering if I should try another food. While her poops are fantastic on this food, she just has such little interest in it. She NEVER finishes it before I pick it up. I'm at a loss because I have to encourage her to eat it. I suppose I can try adding yogurt or something to it, but maybe she just doesn't like the taste? She constantly goes and lays down after eating and then I have to get her up 2-3 times to at least get close to finishing her food. I have not met a dog who doesn't like to eat. I understand they were fed one meal in the kennels, hence why she gets more kibble at night than in the morning.

She definitely has bald spots she didn't have before on her back due to shedding. It's going to take some time for her to shed her current coat and be rid of the dermatitis/dandruff, I think. I may need to try feeding raw eventually - I think her weight is stable but I certainly don't want her to lose weight! If she still has the dermatitis after 3 months, I'll take her back to the vet for a check-up.

I don't believe in coaxing healthy dogs to eat. I just give it to them, and if they don't finish after 20-30 min, or after all the other dogs are done, I take it away. The vast majority of healthy dogs will eat what they need, as long as the food is made available. Coaxing the dog to eat and making a big deal out of mealtimes will actually stress some dogs and make them less likely to eat. Trying lots of different foods and mixing in extras will often create a picky eater.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Winnie2014

We have had little to no gas, tummy gurgles, etc on this food. Poop has been good and it's a grain free food. I put some chicken in it this morning and she ate the chicken and then went and laid back down. I'll make mealtimes less of a big deal and just go about my business and when she's hungry enough, she'll eat it. Hopefully.

If not then we're trying another food. She looks like she's been keeping her weight okay, but not eating her kibble keeps me worried that she isn't getting the nutrition she needs. Boiled chicken in a kong doesn't cut it. I don't want to cut that out yet, but maybe need to cut the amount of chicken so she still has something to do when I leave home.

She sounds to be doing fine on the food you are giving.....just too much of it and the sensible girl is only eating what she needs. I'd stick to the same food but cut down a little on each meal until you reach the quantity you need for her to eat it all and maintain the same weight. Having said that, I've had some dogs that just didn't seem to want much in the mornings but were perfectly fit and healthy anyway..

Sue from England

You have Giselle, Winnie now right? She's at a good weight. I wouldn't change a thing. She doesn't have any GI issues. Take a deep breath & relax! You two are fine!

I agree don't make a fuss over her food. She's not exercising a lot so her needs aren't high. If she doesn't eat within 30 minutes pick it up. She's simply saying she's had enough not that she doesn't like it. I would be careful with add ins right now. She's new to home life & you.

Black dogs tend to have and/or show dandruff more. I add in coconut oil for mine. But it's not a big deal that she has it. It's typical to blow their farm coat. I use a furminator on mine but still some dogs shed more or some are seasonal shredders as the days get shorter/longer.

Please continue to be in contact with your adoption rep at GPA-H. They are here to help!

Welcome to the wonderful world of greyhounds.😄

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Winnie2014

You have Giselle, Winnie now right? She's at a good weight. I wouldn't change a thing. She doesn't have any GI issues. Take a deep breath & relax! You two are fine!

I agree don't make a fuss over her food. She's not exercising a lot so her needs aren't high. If she doesn't eat within 30 minutes pick it up. She's simply saying she's had enough not that she doesn't like it. I would be careful with add ins right now. She's new to home life & you.

Black dogs tend to have and/or show dandruff more. I add in coconut oil for mine. But it's not a big deal that she has it. It's typical to blow their farm coat. I use a furminator on mine but still some dogs shed more or some are seasonal shredders as the days get shorter/longer.

Please continue to be in contact with your adoption rep at GPA-H. They are here to help!

Welcome to the wonderful world of greyhounds.

Yes that's her! We're honestly doing really fantastic. She is settling in fantastically and we had a good holiday. I'm just a nervous Greyhound mama and had/have a lot of questions.

I've definitely kept in touch with GPA-H. :) I want to take in all of the information to do the best that I can for her.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DogNewbie

Wiley is the same way. We mix 1/3 of a can of wet food (natural Balance Lid varying flavours) with chicken broth at night. He gets plain kibble for breakfast, and most of the time he won't touch it

Guest Winnie2014

Winnie is certainly more excited and eating better in the evening. She still is iffy in the morning...sometimes she eats none/some/all of her food.

The Zukes treats were giving her the runs as well, so I found some freeze-dried chicken treats to feed her with success.

What has been your luck with Nature's Domain? Winnie's skin is still really itchy and she seems to always be scratching. Could this be related to her food or her still settling in from adoption? I was going to give it another month (February 1st) to see if she still has dermatitis and itching. And if so, I was going to switch her to Iams Green Bag and see if that helps at all.

Have you tried fish oil or coconut oil? I use both with great success. Try a teaspoon of coconut oil in her food.

Is the protein chicken you are using? The kennel uses turkey. Mine do best on turkey or salmon.

You can also rub coconut oil on her skin.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Winnie2014

I have been putting a teaspoon of melted coconut oil in her food at night and she seems to like it. I'll have to try rubbing some under her arms and on the underside of her chest.

Her treats are chicken - and she gets boiled chicken in her Kong during the day. Other than the itching, she hasn't shown other symptoms of being allergic to the protein I've been giving her.

I might need to play around more with her proteins, she could be itchy from the weather changes here or it could also be food related. While she had the itchy skin when I first got her, she only really started itching after the polar freeze in November.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Winnie2014

Winnie is doing really well - she has filled out a little bit, which I wanted. Now that I'm happy with her weight and don't want to overfeed, would it be a good idea to decrease her food to 2 cups a day? Recommended serving of her food is 3-4 cups a day.

In addition, should I be adding a vitamin into our regimen?

This is to take into account our training/walk treats as well as the 2 Large Kongs she gets during the day (Chicken/PB topped or Cheese rotated with crunched cookie on top in the morning, chicken/cookie in the afternoon). If I could treat with kibble I would, but Winnie is not interested. She gets walked 3x a day for about 30 minutes with running time on weekends. I know the rule of thumb is decrease the amount of food you feed for the treats the dog receives during the day.

She also gets a teaspoon of coconut oil in her food and a tablespoon of Olewo carrots in the evening.

Edited by Winnie2014

• 2 weeks later...

I had to take my male off Beef in his kibble..seems he developed allergies. Vet said staying on the same protein for a long time can make them come up with allergies…so, he is raw fed (turkey necks, venison, duck and quail) with a little bit of salmon and pea (Wellness) kibble. No more red feet and no more chewing his legs and feet. And, he has lost about 8 lbs!!!! He is back to his racing rate and I know that takes the pressure off of his corns.