Early Protein Losing Nephropathy

Guest sireltonsmom

Guest sireltonsmom

My greyhound Mindy has been diagnosed with this. She's 10. It's been recommended to put her on Enalapril,and omega 3 fatty acids. She's currently on Omega 3, Traumeel (holistic med for pain) and Advanced Cell 880 for immune system. The vet also has recommended we choose a gluten-free, moderately reduced protein dry food (not chicken, beef or turkey). I've looked at different dry foods and simply have NO idea what would be good for her. I don't have a Costco near me. Mindy is relatively symptom free - it's urine analysis that shows the high (out of range) protein levels. My question for you all is can you recommend a few good food choices for her. Thanks in advance.

Ginny

Guest sireltonsmom

Couple of thoughts--did you rule out a UTI via a urine culture? Also, what was the lastest UPC and were those repeated. Really not sure why the gluten free novel protein diet is being recommended.

Yes, we did. She had a profile done 6 months ago and her protein was 2+ and out of range. This time her Urine Protein Creatinine Report had her number for uprot/creat ratio at 1.9 and her total protein at 360 both out of range, and ucreat at 186 which is in range. Vet says Mindy's blood albumin blood level is normal so I guess this is early stage. She didn't give a reason for the food recommendation. This is all above my 'normal person' greyhound owner head of course. Hard to know what's vet's personal preference vs. Mindy's best interests.

Mindy is prone to UTIs and has had several. She came to us at age 5 after being in a different home for a couple of years. She had not been spayed (guess it was a track adoption without follow-up). When we got her she weighed 52#, had cartilage hanging out of the bottom of her tail and was just so beaten down emotionally. I don't know if she had been given regular vet care, had meds appropriately etc. I know for the past 5 years she's had everything she needs and much of what she wants. I just know I want her to live a healthy life for as long as we can have her. Her house mate, Sir Elton lasted til 14.5. We are hopeful for Mindy to get near there too.

My Scout was diagnosed at about age 11 and made it to 13+. He was on Enalapril, too. Although I take some of the info on this linked site with several grains of salt, and I'm not sure how often it is updated, I found it very helpful in figuring out a diet and treats for Scout. http://www.dogaware.com Go to Health, Kidney, and Kidney Diet. Hugs to you and Mindy.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest sireltonsmom

My Scout was diagnosed at about age 11 and made it to 13+. He was on Enalapril, too. Although I take some of the info on this linked site with several grains of salt, and I'm not sure how often it is updated, I found it very helpful in figuring out a diet and treats for Scout. http://www.dogaware.com Go to Health, Kidney, and Kidney Diet. Hugs to you and Mindy.

Thanks for your good wishes and I'm checking dogaware today.

A UPC of 1.9 is very low and honestly not very worrisome. Enalapril and low dose aspirin is typically recommended for PLN. Aspirin is to prevent thrombosis--when losing albumin though the kidneys they are losing antithrombin too (anti clotting factor).

Thanks for this. It eases my heart.