Should We Have This Removed?

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

Houston has a "fur-tag" the size of a marble (about the circumference of a nickle) on his back leg from an old injury below it that wasn't stitched right. The injury is fine, and the extra floppy piece doesn't bother him. I only worry that if it were to get caught on something it would rip off rather easily and probably require stitches. We are pondering a dental in the near future and I thought it would make sense to have it taken care of while he was already asleep? Do you think the removal and aftercare would be worth the piece of mind? Has anyone ever had something like this done in combination with a dental? Will the vet think I'm crazy for suggesting it?

Here's the best picture I could get of it. Please don't tell Houston I put a photo of his boy parts online! lol

IMG_20140913_151311_zpsh0xrrrto.jpg

Mickey just had a dental, and a similar growth removed from his side. His was the size of a grape. I worried that he would bother the area, but he has left it alone. It only required one stitch, and I had to look hard to find the location. My vet has always just called it a skin tag, and was never concerned about it. He had no problem with my decision to have it removed.

If you worry it might get snagged, ask the vet to remove it. My vet would have no problem with a request like that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Houston1219

That's good to know it's been done. I just thought that the vet may not want to worry about a silly thing like a skin tag when they're trying to focus on a dental. Houston is our first and he had a dental before we got him so I wasn't quite sure how in depth it was for the vet or if they were pressed for time already and wouldn't want to be bothered with an elective add on like a "fur-tag"

There have been several things I've asked to be done while they're under for something else like a dental. The vets almost always agree on the 'if we have time' basis, but something like that I think they'd probably make time for.

For instance, Jeffie has had warts removed while he was under for a dental - they were not a huge problem but they were itchy, so we took them off. He's grown more, of course!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop