Displaced Aggression Maybe?

Snap has been home 3 months now. He has made an easy transition to this point, but as we all know things do change as things get more comfortable. Birdie has no problems with any new addition in the house. Smokey (Catahoula) has had a hard time with this addition, jealousy of attention, toys etc as she has never had competition for these things.

Snap is a big boisterous young male with a lot to learn. He has no problems with other dogs, but needs to be muzzled when doing any competitive running. He has high prey drive and unfortunately neighbors have outdoor cats who lounge in the road right outside our window. This kicks him into high gear and I think Birdie got a tear on top of her back due to this. I was not home to witness, but its the only thing that makes sense. (She is fine and showed no anxiety when I got home and we didn't even discover the wound till much later in the evening) This AM there was a bit of a yelling match at the gate between Smoke and Snap when I went out to my car..a cause for huge excitement. No harm done, but 2 incident now in 2 days. He now has his muzzle on.

We used the crate initially, but he proved to be a clean dog from day one so we took it down.

They are restricted to one big room in the house when alone. Separating any one dog would cause anxiety.

Any advice on how to manage this would be appreciated. Any experienced peeps know if this will lessen in time?

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

I have a friend who put up a privacy fence because her neighbor's little yappy dogs would come outside, and her high-prey greys would fight each other trying to get to them. These are sweet, docile, calm greyhounds who had never shown any signs of aggression before. But when their prey-drive and competitive instinct kicks in, they can turn. Hopefully others will offer some training tips, but I think it would be wise to muzzle everybody at this point. Good luck!

We do follow the all muzzled rule here. Have been around greyhounds too long not to know better. :)

Snap is a straight off the farm, never raced dog. His behavior is totally typical of farm dogs. He's sweet and lovable and respectful of the other dogs in the house. It's just this reactive behavior I am hoping will subside with time.

I put the crate back up and just came home to a very calm household. I think it will stay up for a while as it makes it so much easier coming into the house. I can't block his view of those freaking cats any other way. He is very laid back in his crate, not even getting up until you are opening the crate door.

I am hoping to hear some stories of this subsiding with time.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey