Preparing My Grey For Green Collaring.

Guest loki1

I have recently become a proud mum of a 20 month old rescued grey. He was found at a local vet for termination by a friend. After much negotiation, she was able to get the owner and vet to surrender him to her. 2 hours later, I was the proud owner of Loki. He is my gentle giant. As I was new to the world of Greys, I was gobsmacked to learn that my Loki must be muzzled every time we go for a walk. I was told about GAP and green collaring. I really want to do this for peace of mind but I want to prepare him for his testing. I am walking him 5-7 km every day and come across many dogs along the way. Dogs on leashes do don't phase him one bit, and we have even had a few dogs charge at us and he has not responded. However, on 2 occasions, I have had Loki growl and nip the air in warning to these 2 dogs. One was a young lab who was very submissive. Initially, Loki was happy to meet the dog, but when the dog exposed his belly, Loki growled. The second incident happened when a large dog (unaccompanied by an owner) crossed a major road and came right up to Loki. Instead of sniffing butts, the dog came right up to Loki's face. No tail wagging. Loki growled. I encouraged Loki to continue our walk, which he was happy to comply. Would these 2 instances have him fail the test and if so how do I stop him from reacting? Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Congrats and Welcome! :yay

Since "green collaring" is something that only happens in Australia, you'll need to explain what all the testing encompasses so we can give you suggestions about how to go about passing the various parts.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think I've seen some posts on FB about Loki! Are you in Victoria?

I would contact GAP. In NSW there is a workbook we work through. Here, those types of growls wouldn't be a problem as they are in context. In Victoria they might be. I have a very different perspective on growling to most of the people in Victoria too. I have no problem with it. They apparently do.

That said, three of my four greys are muzzled and it isn't an issue for me or them. PM me if you want more info or keep talking here. I can tell you what the assessment involved here but not there.

And welcome to GT. this is THE BEST place for info on greys.

Oh wow, Thank you for the warm welcome. Is it bad to be excited to receive my first responses. I feel like I have a new family.

greysmom, Yes, I am from Victoria, Australia, and I have no idea what GAP expects. I guess I'll have to contact their Seymore office and see if they can send me a list of guidelines.

And Brandiandwe, I am gobsmacked that you would recognize us from FB. Wonder if we have a mutual friend. Until I get more info from GAP, do I talk to Loki in a happy voice when a dog comes up and let him sniff and say hi or do we ignore and walk on. I don't want to inadvertently start a negative behaviour.

What I've done with my high prey reactive dog (who is a complete diva and adorable. And muzzled :) ) is have a good supply of treats. I like the Saviour Dogs ones as they are made in Australia and the right shape to wedge through the muzzle. Every time we see another dog (cat, chicken, bush turkey, possum, cow, sheep), I've shoved a treat into her mouth before she has a chance to loose her mind. Yours doesn't, so what I would do is ask for his attention in a happy voice and when he gives it, give him a treat. If another dog approaches unleashed, try to get between the two, and when the other dog is gone, give a treat. So you're essentially training 'look at me' which is great for other dogs but also large and frightening things like wheelie bins, trucks, plastic bags etc etc. hopefully when he starts seeing another dog, or anything he's unsure of he will look to you to guidance and associate it with Very Good Things.

This is just an incredible community, and I hope others will chime in who have a lot more experience with training. There are also some great collar makers on here too.

Hello and welcome to Greytalk from a not so sunny UK :)

With regards to your questions, firstly as said find out the criteria for the testing in your area, you can't be expected to pass any test without knowing that .

Secondly, it sounds as if Loki deals very normally with other dogs, Brandiandwe's advice is good, but I would add that if he does seem to be getting uncomfortable and growly round another dog just move on, the best reward he can get is not having to deal with those kind of situations. When he does just stay calm reward him profusely.

I have been training my current Grey Johnny who I've had nearly five months to look at me for a treat whenever he sees another dog approaching, this both acts as a pre-reward if you like but mainly it is meant to prepare him for when he is off leash so that I can get him back with me before he gets to interact with another dog.....he has started just to come for a treat when he sees people whether they have a dog with them or not, (not daft is he :lol) but that's not such a bad thing because some people don't exactly keep their dogs under close control round here.

I would also be interested if anyone has any insight into why he growled at the very submissive Lab, Johnny is exactly the same, I have to admit I can't get my head round that one so any input would be welcome.

Lastly I have to say that there is something a bit strange about making Greyhounds wear muzzles and require them to undergo testing when it seems that other breeds which IMO are just as capable of causing problems are allowed to run free (and from what you say) not exactly under control :dunno:

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest AndrewandHolly

I'm in Victoria and I went through exactly this almost a year ago, even down to the same pre-test scares.

We adopted Holly through GSN and then sent her to GAP for the green collar assessment. To be honest, the muzzle never bothered her or us, but it had a very big impact on some other dog owners.

The assessment isn't supposed to gaurantee that a dog is never going to bite or growl. As far as I can tell, it's just about checking that a dog isn't going to trigger into attack mode in reasonable everyday situations.

I don't know the entire protocal, but the final step is playing fetch with 2 small dogs in an open area. There's no problem with your dog chasing them while they run, as long as it's clear that it's in play.

I suggest just giving GAP a call. They are pretty open about the whole thing and they also book out months in advance too. As an aside, from memory, I think you only pay for the test if/once you pass.

Check out both the GAP and GSN websites sometimes for upcoming greyhound events. If you don't have a backyard, then it's a good way to find organised days for them to run about in enclosed areas, and to meet other owners.

The growling thing comes from discussions I've had with GAP fosterers and workers from Victoria. There they state clearly that growling is never permitted. I am therefore unpopular because with multiple greys, there are always growls. So opinions and culture varies.

Welcome also to the forum. We seem to be gathering a little group from south of the Equator. Could be fun for a secret Santa if you stick around.

Oh, and as no one has mentioned it yet, photos are required!