Strange Pus-Filled Bumps

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

I need some advice...

I was snuggling my hound tonight and I started noticing these yellowish green pus filled bumps on his stomach, armpits, and neck. There were maybe 8 or 9 of them. I have NEVER noticed these before! In fact, we were just snuggling last night and I didn't see them. A few are large, like the size of a pea and most are pretty small, like a pinhead. I am alarmed! I changed his food a few days ago to the grain free Costco brand. Maybe this is an allergic reaction? He also frequents a dog park that has tall grass and he likes to sleep on a dog bed on my patio (sunbathing) so maybe some ants or bugs bit him? He doesn't have fleas. He has frontline on. I am going to call my vet first thing in the morning, but if anybody can shed some light on this tonight or has seen something like this before, I would appreciate it. I am worried about what this could be!

10551013_10101005870431382_2894957027516

Neither allergic reactions nor insect bites first appear as pus-filled bumps. Both can become infected later, but if this is sudden I'd suspect a skin infection.

Sorry, edited to add missing bit to my sentence.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Yep, looks like pyoderma. Not sure if it's always staph, but seems most likely. Cecil gets this occasionally and because he has a sensitive tummy we don't give him oral antibiotics. We use the topical Duoxo products. They have a shampoo, a spray and a medicated wipe. The worst he had it was maybe 7 or 8 smallish patches on his belly, armpits, groin area and then one large (golfball diameter) spot on his back and all his hair fell out in a chunk (freaked me out!). That was the first time he had it, but with diligent shampooing and spraying, we got rid of it in about a week. He's had a few spots here an there since and I use the wipes all over his belly, groin, chest area for a few days and it will go away with no spreading, but I check him all the time to be sure none pop up. Not sure why it happens, but it seems more likely in the summer.

I've read about others who seem to have a harder time getting rid of it and they mostly use oral antibiotics. Not sure if we just get lucky with topicals or if maybe they're better and vets just naturally go the oral antibiotic route because...well, because that's the modern way, I guess.

Hope your boy is better soon.

Guest karilynn

Thanks all. Confirmed that this is indeed a skin infection. We are going to try a topical treatment first and different food. Vet thinks it could either be an allergy to food that is causing itching or it could be from swimming in a pond at the park. If topical treatment doesn't clear up the area, we will move on to antibiotics.

thanks!

Guest AngelPup

Our Cindy Lou had a rash on and off for several months--treated topically. Thought I finally got rid of it and then noticed puss filled bumps. Turned out to be a staph infection and she needed three weeks of antibiotics. She's FINALLY rid of them!