What To Do When Dog Wont Eat

Guest kar

Snow will not eat just a few bites for the last two days. But this has been an ongoing problem with her. She won't eat well for quite some time. then eats (last time I wet dry food and she ate for 1 week good). Now she will not eat again. if I put hamburger in her food she'll pick that out. Problem is she is on a kidney diet so really can't have hamburger. Have had a lot of tests done on her, ultrasound, blood work urinalysis only thing that show up was bun/creatinine e ratio of 1.6 on urine.

Vet does not know what is wrong - I just know she is not right. This might sound crazy to you but I have begun to think that there must be something serious wrong with her and maybe I should just give up and let her go. Her walking habits have changed also not excited to go on walks -

I am running out of money because of all the tests. just paid off last vet bill and now she won't eat again. Don't know what to do am getting really upset about this. I don't think she moves off he bed all day when I am at work - did not finish food this morning left it in the room with her and water and food were not touched. I just don't believe this is normal.

please no really negative comments as I have been to the vet on the average of every two weeks with her.

also she is on 40 mg enalapril daily used to take the pills in bread for me easily now she spits out pills. and will not even eat the kidney biscuits which she loved before.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest normaandburrell

So sorry you are going through this. You obviously love her and are trying to do your best. You should not be criticized in any way. I wish I could help. Maybe more experienced pet owners might have some suggestions.

Poor Snow... poor you.

Snow could be moving into the later stages of Chronic Renal Failure. What you describe is typical of the 3 dogs I've had who needed to be treated for it.

You may find that a steroid injection helps restore appetite, so might an anti-emetic, so might Azodyl as it helps remove toxins from digestion. Then there is Calcitrol which helps keep the ion ratio in balance. Lastly there are subcutaneous injections to help flush the kidneys, and these you can learn to do at home.

I'd recommend visiting the K9Kidney group on Yahoo. Let me see if the link will add now I'm using Google chrome.

I would feed her anything that gets her eating right now. A lot of homemade kidney diets have chicken, beef, liver, cottage cheese etc. in them, so I don't see why you can't add it, especially since it seems like things are okay with bloodwork/urine. Or...have you tried adding or feeding canned food? The higher moisture levels would probably be beneficial for kidney issues anyways. Is your vet telling you that she needs to be on a very restricted diet right now?

Edited by RedHead

I don't know how old she is, but I'd personally be trying to have her eat a homemade diet (chicken, beef, turkey, whatever). I don't like the stuff that's in a lot of the commercial foods. But that might not be possible for you.

I would also add, coming from a place of respect and support, that by continually asking if it's time, or saying maybe it's time, you are asking us as a community to give you permission to let her go. I think I can say categorically that you will not get that 'permission' from this community. Not because we don't acknowledge that we do need to let our dogs go, and sometimes a long time before we are ready to, but because it is a personal decision. We are not there and cannot make that decision for you.

Personally, I would take Snow back to the vet and have a very frank and long discussion about it. Then decide. You will receive support here either way.

have had all renal test ultrasound, bloodwork, urinalysis. adoption group cannot help I had three greys she is my only akc grey. others have already passed.

Ok I'll bite--you need to feed her what she wants! Kick your vet to the curb-she does not have chronic renal failure-she has very mild proteinuria. In my opinion you are giving way too much enalapril. Please, please, please find a new vet and give your hound a hamburger!

don't know of any greyhound savy vets in ct Fairfield area. anyone else know of any

You were given a vet recommendation in your area back in February.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305408-help/?p=5659381

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305408-help/?p=5659661

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

1) Think about what she can have and try it. Maybe a low sodium broth--chicken, beef, lamb? Maybe something else. If she can't have hamburger, what about skinless chicken breast, boiled? I've heard (not personal experience) that the kidney diets don't taste very appealing. If it's not eat vs. eat something she's not technically supposed to have, I'd go with feed her whatever she'll eat, it's what I've always done.

2) Is there a possibility she's in pain? There are a lot of safe pain killers that you might try. If you're not sure one way or the other, I would personally try pain medications.

3) As hard as it is to hear, Brandi is right--we cannot give you permission to let Snow go nor tell you to keep her alive. These are deeply personal decisions. Many people have offered guidance on this forum about how to make the decision, but we can't do more than that.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

vca is an emergency hosp. not a vet I go to vca in shelton

gracegirl offered you the name of a regular vet and ER vet in her post.

Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

What kidney food are you feeding her?

I went through this with Bullitt.

Refused Science Diet Kidney, both canned and dry

Tried Purina Kidney, refused both canned and dry

I did a kidney home cooked diet and he ate that for quite a while and quit eating

He is now eating Royal Canin LP kidney diet, canned food. When you open the can it actually smells like dog food and he's eats it well.

It is not uncommon for kidney dogs to have eating issues. Bullitt goes through spells where he will eat three small meals instead of two big ones. Some days he only eats one meal but eats a bunch the next day.

Edited by TheFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Reading another thread, a thought occurred to me--how are her teeth?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

What kidney food are you feeding her?

I went through this with Bullitt.

Refused Science Diet Kidney, both canned and dry

Tried Purina Kidney, refused both canned and dry

I did a kidney home cooked diet and he ate that for quite a while and quit eating

He is now eating Royal Canin LP kidney diet, canned food. When you open the can it actually smells like dog food and he's eats it well.

It is not uncommon for kidney dogs to have eating issues. Bullitt goes through spells where he will eat three small meals instead of two big ones. Some days he only eats one meal but eats a bunch the next day.

This dog is NOT in renal failure!

Guest MnMDogs

Ok I'll bite--you need to feed her what she wants! Kick your vet to the curb-she does not have chronic renal failure-she has very mild proteinuria. In my opinion you are giving way too much enalapril. Please, please, please find a new vet and give your hound a hamburger!

Please please listen to tbhounds. She's posted this advice before, she's very knowledgable, and she's a vet tech...Snow needs to eat, and you need to feed her what she wants to eat.

Please please listen to tbhounds. She's posted this advice before, she's very knowledgable, and she's a vet tech...Snow needs to eat, and you need to feed her what she wants to eat.

Amen, amen, amen.

Holly Oaks Holly

I had her on science she hated it tried purina wet and dry ate it for a while. I did order royal canin canned from vet need to pick it up.

it just scares me when she wont eat. were your dog's blood values ok? I am asking for a copy of mine tomorrow. going to post them on the kidney diet website. who knows.

I am going to have to agree with everyone who says you need a new vet. This has been an ongoing issue for months and the only answer seems to be put the dog down.

Her bloodwork has not indicated renal failure.

What your vet doesn't seem to care about is that if that if Snow doesn't eat Snow will die. It is most important right now just to get her to eat.

A lot of the indications now seem to be that good high quality protein is okay to give a kidney dog. There is still also information saying very low-protein. I wish they would make up their mind. Definitely very low phosphorus is needed.

Fresh Pet is good and their phosphorous is low enough. Ground beef or turkey is also good.

At this point, the meat like substance from McD's would be good.

I am on my phone now so it is hard to look but I will find the name of the vet that Lauren gave you a few months ago. We were both asking her brother so the answer is the same one.

I will post blood work values when I pick them up tomorrow. I did give her hamburger tonight.

thanks I could only find the emergency vet name. could not find vet's name.