Training Not To Kill

Guest gryhnd3

Ours wear the turnout muzzles 99% of the time outside unless they are on a leash. As it is, in the last several months, they have caught a groundhog and two cats, none of which appeared to be harmed. However, can't say the same for our guys - limping, scratched from the skirmish.

My first 3 greyhounds lived with 3 indoor cats. No problems. We moved to a home with a very large yard and 3 outdoor cats across the street. There is only one now :(. New boy chased down a deer who stupidly jumped our fence, caught him, got kicked and let him go, but continued to chase him out of the yard. (All witnessed by my 83yr old mother. Boy did she have a good story to tell her friends) Last week it was a woodchuck battle, woodchuck lost, that was the second incident this summer. 12 year old Birdie was responsible for the demise of the first. Imo, there is very little hope for a fast moving critter with a loose dog. Birdie I trust with little dogs off leash....Snap, no way I would chance it. The Catahoula is right in there with them. Not breed specific here.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

I think the only small furries you can teach a Grey to ignore are your own domestic pets. My last dog actually caught my cat and shook it once and, miraculously, it was OK once I stopped her. But after that I made it clear it was MY cat and never to be even looked in the wrong way again. Fed the cat first too for a while.

All you can do when you let them out in the yard is put the lights on first and make a noise to enable stupid cats to escape.

In parks with squirells in the autumn keep on a tight leash. Peggy needed knee surgery costing £340 ($500) as a result of me not seeing a squirrel first! They don't even look at rocks and things in between.