Skunked

Guest kar

I thought her appetite was picking up but I guess I was wrong. I don't know how it could still be the skunk smell. Her snout does still smell, but it has been one week today that she was sprayed. I don't know what else or what other tests to do on her. Only thing I could do is repeat kidney bloodwork which was done one month ago. Did not give her the omeprazole - don't know if I should. I have not had good luck this year with my dogs. Wish she was just normal again. But don't think she will be. Took her to a pet store that a greyhound group was at thought she would show some excitement. Just walked right by them - wanted nothing to do with them.

Guest MnMDogs

I thought her appetite was picking up but I guess I was wrong. I don't know how it could still be the skunk smell. Her snout does still smell, but it has been one week today that she was sprayed. I don't know what else or what other tests to do on her. Only thing I could do is repeat kidney bloodwork which was done one month ago. Did not give her the omeprazole - don't know if I should. I have not had good luck this year with my dogs. Wish she was just normal again. But don't think she will be. Took her to a pet store that a greyhound group was at thought she would show some excitement. Just walked right by them - wanted nothing to do with them.

If you can still smell it on her snout, it must be very intense for her, I don't blame her for not wanting to eat :(. I hope it clears up soon.

Riley was skunked (ok, Riley caught & played with a skunk) the 2nd week of April, and STILL smells like skunk. The vet's groomer says he'll be smelling ripe for up to a year (woohoo!). While I can't say that Riley was phased at all by his ordeal (except that I took his toy away from him and he had to have a BATH, and a trip to the vet at 1:30a because the skunk did not die willingly and ripped open Riley's throat), he didn't seem to have a problem with eating. I'm sure you've already checked carefully, but could she also have injured herself trying to get away from the skunk?

The omeprazole shouldn't hurt, and won't stay in her system long enough to interfere with any treatment the vet may want to apply. I'd try it, and if at all concerned, call the vet (or another vet) to reassure you that its safe.

If it is something that is 'smell' related, you could try a food that might be smellable (ok, its not a word) over the skunk smell -- tripe or tuna might be worth a try.

she has kidney disease so is on a kidney diet that is the problem. I did give her an omeprazole. Think maybe the kidney disease is progressing, even though had bloodwork one month ago.

she is also starting to lay down on walks again - yesterday I walked her about 6:30 - not all that far about 30 minutes. I live in new England ct so it was a little warm - don't know if that is why or if she is just not feeling that good