Skunked

Guest kar

Snow was sprayed in the face badly by a skunk. Now her appetite is off and she really is not eating well. Anyone else been through this. Vet feels it is unrelated but appetite was fine until this occurrred.

Guest Doggone

I have no idea if it's true for dogs, but if a person was sprayed in the face by something noxious, that smell (and taste) would probably linger in their nasal passages and upper respiratory system for a long time. I'd guess their appetites would be off for a while, too. :(

I would think so - she could not even open her eyes must have stuck her face right in the skunk's tail.

Not overly happy with my vet lately but don't know where else to go..

My old dog got sprayed (close range) by a skunk, and her appetite was also off for a few days. She also acted a bit sick, as I think she was only a few feet away and got it directly in the face. She returned back to normal in a few days. That is a potent smell, it definitely can make a dog (or person) feel nauseous.

I know vet probably believes it is her kidney disease. she was sprayed Monday night and has not eaten much since then. Maybe it did progress, even though I had bloodwork last month. All I know is she will not eat. I guess I might loose my third dog.

I am getting tired of the worrying and vet bills and sick dogs.

Give it a few days for the skunk spray to wear off before you make any decisions. Meanwhile, you could get her kidney values checked again.

Kidney disease can make dogs feel nauseated, and though I have no experience of skunking (I live in England) it seems reasonable to assume that something that potent would put her off her food too. I hope she rallies! :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Just had kidney values checked last month. I feel that it probably is just her time. It has already been two three days since it happened and she really does not smell that bad. I have been washing her face daily.

Remember that a dog's sense of smell is many tens of thousand times better than your own. Just because she doesn't smell that bad to you, it doesn't mean it's not affecting her, and if she did swallow some too, it could well be that it's upsetting her stomach. I can't speak for her other problems of course, but if this only started with the skunking, it seems likely that it is related, . I'd give her a few days, as others have said. :)

How long has it been since she was skunked? Have you used one of the 'de-skunking' shampoos/recipes? It apparently needs more than just soap and water to get the stuff out.

Hark at me telling someone how to deal with skunks and we don't even have them here! Still, you do pick up an awful lot of useful knowledge when you've been on Greytalk as long as I have. ;)

skunk scent removal:

1 quart (32 fl oz, nearly 1 liter) Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (U.S.P) + 1/4 cup baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) *NOT baking powder or washing powder* + 1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap (such as Ivory)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

More than likely, Snow's sense of smell has been squashed b/c of the skunk spray. If she can't smell her food, it doesn't hold any appeal and that could cause disinterest/anorexia. It has been a couple of days but until that skunk scent is lessened from her nasal passages, she may continue to show disinterest in her noms. I wouldn't immediately jump to the kidney disease, esp. since her values last month were stable. As you said, her appetite was fine until she got skunked.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I will go to vet today at 3:45. I am still hoping it is the skunk. I know everyone smelled me at work. I have used the backing soda peroxide formula. I can still smell it on her snout. I hope it is the female vet that is on I really do not care for the male - I know he is competent but no bedside manner.

I am hoping for the best.

Guest DogNewbie

I have heard tomatoes soup works really well for de-skunking. You just poor the concentrated soup on them, rub it in really well and then rinse it off. Good luck! Skunk smell is nasty.

I have heard tomatoes soup works really well for de-skunking. You just poor the concentrated soup on them, rub it in really well and then rinse it off. Good luck! Skunk smell is nasty.

Guest Lillypad

Getting skunked is gotten business, been there. Although mine continued to have an appetite, I could easly see how this would throw a dog off. Hope she shows improvement very soon. Curious, how old is your girlie.?

Good luck at the vet. I hope you see the one you like and she gives her a chance! Seven and a half is very young to be in end-stage kidney disease.

BTW. I had a 'young' ten year old once who appeared to have kidney disease. It progressed very rapidly, the vet didn't know why, didn't do anything other than the blood/urine protein tests and guess what? It was kidney cancer, not ordinary kidney age-related failure. Unless you have a firm diagnosis of a particular type of kidney disease so that you know exactly what you're dealing with, I would advise at least getting x-rays done. It may save her life. By the time we found Susan's problem to be cancer it had already spread to her lungs and involved the second kidney. :(

snow had an ultrasound everything looked fine. vet is stumped again does not know if not eating is from the skunk spray (she said she felt sick from the smell) or if it is kidney disease. She said if she is not better by next week she will do blood work. did not want to repeat it since it was just done last month. insisted on giving her a rabies shot which I was a little leary of because she is not feeling well. So she is really quiet tonight. Did eat a little soft canned food but just does not seem normal. I do not want to loose her. sometimes I wonder if my vet knows what she is doing. but don't know of any better vets in the area. only good vet I know of is one hour away and that is just not good in an emergency.

also she did not want to give anything for nausea. don't know why.

has anyone out there tried female douche for skunk spray and dog trainer told me to try this. I guess its worth a try her snout still smells she is eating a little though thank god.

Guest BiancasMom

Isn't the main ingredient just vinegar? I wouldn't waste your money….try real vinegar but be careful not to get it in her eyes.