Head Beating Against Wall

So we've put everyone on a raw diet and they've all been having a mixture of lamb and chicken. All was well until last night when Paige and Hermon both refused to eat the lamb. No problems with the chicken. But I've noticed that Brandi is beginning to pee in the house more again (le sigh) and I'm wondering if it's all connected. Has anyone else had a reaction to a protein which has involved increased urination and/ or a refusal to eat?

I'm pulling everyone off the lamb and moving to a whole chicken/ turkey diet for a bit but I'm curious.

Yes. Nadir developed intolerances to fish, beef, and lamb among other foods that resulted in increased urination. I knew it was the food, because whenever I would stop feeding it the problem would go away. The first issue was with rice though. He had gotten so bad that he was urinating in his sleep. I'm not talking an incontinence type of dribbling, this was a full out flood that would suddenly awaken him. This was after being on heavy duty antibiotics for several months even though he was never diagnosed with a UTI. The vet I was taking him to at the time wanted me to start feeding him a prescription kidney food. I chose to feed him a homecooked diet instead. He had been eating a lamb and rice kibble when I switched him to a diet of ground beef and rice, however the problem persisted even after over a month of this change. I then remembered reading that certain foods could cause allergy problems that could affect different organs so I switched him to a grain-free diet. Within 5 days of taking him off rice, which was the only common denominator in his diet, the problem stopped. He went from having several accidents every day to being able to hold it all day when I went to work. I've urged people to try an elimination diet to see if a particular food was causing the problem when posting about their greys sudden urination issues that couldn't be explained by a UTI diagnosis.

Excellent! Thanks for that. I'm going to follow my gut (or theirs) and they're all going on chicken for a while. I also have to bump up Brandi's intake cause she's lost a little too much while continuing to trim Hermon down. This whole feeding thing can be a full time job.

Not a specific protein, but there's a brand of wet dog food that makes Bu have frequent urination. I'm sure there's something in there that doesn't agree with him. Oddly, he was only getting 1-2 tablespoons of the food a day and it caused big enough problems for concern.