Leaving Alone Vs. Monitoring After Anesthesia

Zuri had a dental today. He was out for just over 2 hrs, starting around noon. I just picked him up and he is still very woozy. Wondering if there is any risk to leaving him alone for about an hr and a half starting in another 2&1/2-3 hrs. He will be crated so in that sense he will be safe. Worried more about some crazy post anesthesia effect or bleeding (he did have 3 teeth removed, including one major one. He would get pain meds before I left.

Any thoughts? Last time he pulled out of the anesthesia like a champ and was eating dinner by evening, but he does seem a little more out of it this time.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'd imagine that by the time you're ready to leave, he should be okay.

I'm certainly no doctor though, so hopefully one of our fabulous veterinarians on here will chime in :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I should add that I do have the option of taking him with me. That's less than ideal because I'm supposed to be co-teaching a puppy class with 8 rowdy puppies so he'd probably have to be crated by himself in the adjacent room and there'd be lots of noise coming from the room we're in, which could be stressful depending on exactly how drowsy he still is. But I could pop in to check on him periodically, which might make me feel better.

However, that would also mean navigating him down multiple flights of stairs to get him to the car and then having to get him in/out of the car again, which wasn't exactly super easy - he sort of didn't remember he had legs when I put him down on the ground for a few seconds. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Bonny has had some pretty major dentals - one losing 8 teeth and the last one losing 3 teeth. She tends to be pretty drugged when we get her home. See how Zuri is when it is time to leave. Bonny has always come through fine. She mostly spends the evening after a dental asleep.

I would not take him with you.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest IrskasMom

I personally would not take him with you. Do you have a Neighbor you trust to look in on him ?? I would do that for my Neighbors !