Yet Another Greyhound Teeth Thread

It's been a while since I have been on the forums. We've had our grey for about 8 months or so and she's greyt. She loves us to death and we all love her to death.

Unfortunately, she is one of the unlucky ones that have terrible teeth. And unfortunately, she is not one that takes kindly to having her teeth brushed. We have tried the bribery technique, and nothing. She absolutely hates it and jerks away after only a few moments. She had a dental with extractions done last summer before we got her and upon her last visit the vet said she is probably going to be ready for another dental soon. This vet charges about 500 bucks for a dental (i know many others are much cheaper) and we will gladly pay that to keep our baby healthy but 500 bucks every 6 months to a year is a hard pill to swallow. But for those of you that brushing is not an option, what do you guys do for dental health? We have a water additive and a healthy regiment of dentastix and/or greenies plus the vet has suggested a regiment of antibiotics every month to keep infection down in her mouth.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The Elders Family

Ty :coffee Crystal :wife Caleb :guns Lizzie :offwall and Piper :ghplaybow

I would pursue brushing more regularly. You will both get better at it in time. Take baby steps and be persistent. Nothing can substitute daily brushing. Heck, my boy was horrible at first whenever I tried to brush his teeth--today I'm using a Sonicare to brush daily. :-)

Try introducing the toothbrush to her with something on it that's really tasty such as peanut butter, Cheez Whiz, etc., and let her lick it off so she gets used to seeing the brush at her mouth as well as getting used to the feel of the bristles. With the good stuff still on it, after a few days try to introduce it into her mouth as she's licking. Eventually switch the good stuff out with a doggie toothpaste. With any luck, and persistence, she may learn to tolerate her teeth being brushed.

We already tried the pb routine. She's smarter than the average bear. She licks it off and then runs for the hills. If i start brushing with PB still on she decides it's not worth it and bolts

The Elders Family

Ty :coffee Crystal :wife Caleb :guns Lizzie :offwall and Piper :ghplaybow

Guest sireltonsmom

I heard today that using your finger or the finger brush with the toothpaste on it along the gum line is just as good as the big toothbrush. This was from a vet tech. A yummy reward afterwards - stinky treat might help. Put it within her sight so she knows she has to submit to the tooth treatment to get it. Doing just a bit at a time for several days may help. Good luck. My boy has ok breath but I can see the red on his gums. He's gonna be one of those who gets professional teeth cleaning regularly, darn it!