Anyones Hound Treated With Aventiclav? (Amoxicillin And Clavulanate Po

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Anyone treat their hounds with AventiCLAV? (amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium)?

Chance was prescribed this for a really stubborn, growing skin infection. 21 days of treatment (max treatment).

I'm kind of nervous as it sounds hardcore what I was searching on the net, just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with it.

Those are the same ingredients as Clavamox. It's just amoxicillin with an additive that helps render penicillin susceptible some bacteria that would otherwise be resistant. This makes it more effective in general than amoxicillin alone. It's not what I would consider hardcore. However, our various vets only seem to turn to Clavamox for skin infectios when cephalaxin hasn't worked. That may be in part because cephalexin is much more affordable. It worked a small miracle for one of my foster dogs. If it is a stubborn infection, have they done a culture?

ETA: Clavamox is often the first choice of our vets when a dog has a UTI & it's always done the trick. I've only had one pet in the last 15 years who had an adverse reaction to Clavamox & he had a very sensitive GI system.

Edited by kudzu

Guest Houston1219

Clavamox is just the veterinary trade name for Augmentin. I work in a pharmacy and we dispense it multiple times a day. The clavulanic acid (or k-clav) can cause added stomach upset but really makes the amoxicillin a one-two punch. Always best taken with food, for sure. Hope this helps.

Guest carriej

I guess I just seen some warnings about adverse reactions and got a little wigged out.

We went the cephalex route and it got better and came back. So now we're doing this. Nasty, itchy, irritated belly rash. This med came in a box and is called AventiCLAV with the above ingredients. Weird it goes by so many names. It's in foil packets with 375mg each.

I really hope it works. If this doesn't work, the last option is a biopsy.

Chance had some diarrhea with the cephalex. What should I expect with this?

It is best to leave it in the foil pouch until dosing time. It is rather sensitive to environmental factors so removing it before the dose can reduce effectiveness. I don't think it is really so sensitive that goes bad between one dose and the next. But I wouldn't cut all the pouches open in one go, especially for 3 weeks worth of treatment.

Good luck.

Forgot to add. There may be more chance of GI upset with Clavamox but I wouldn't approach the problem any differently than I would with cephalexin treatment.

Guest carriej

He had his first pill this morning, and he seems fine. I left them in the foil packet, I usually figure if they come in one there is a reason.

Now let's hope it gets this stupid rash gone forever. This will be the 5th different thing we have tried.

As per the GI upset, for a greyhound Chance has a pretty solid belly (in comparison with my other greys) and even after being on the ceph for a few days his D cleared up, and was never so bad that he needed extra bathroom trips or anything. Hoping his tummy holds out.

Should I be giving him acidophilus or florastor?

Carrie G

Clavamox is not usually the antibiotic of choice when dealing with skin issues but, I guess they are trying a different class of drug. It can be very hard on the tummy. I absolutely can not take augmentin myself-after a couple of doses my stomach was in knots-now I know how some pets feel when taking it. Definetly give it with a full tummy and it sure wouldn't hurt to start a probiotic-just remember not to give them at the same time.

Guest carriej

Knock on freaking wood, it seems to be working. The first 4-5 days not much difference, but today he has been on it for a week and it's improved by about 50%. Hopefully the next two weeks of treatment will kick it right out of there.