Duck Feet?

Guest Melissa516

Guest Melissa516

So, someone at work bought me a package of raw duck feet! They are in the work fridge right now... hope no one notices. I can just see the email from HR. :POed

Fred & Ginger have had commercially dehydrated duck feet before. (Just as an FYI they don't eat raw. They're on a salmon based kibble.) Can I feed the duck feet raw? (I know never to give cooked bones.) Or, should I dehydrate them in my electric dehydrator?

Thoughts? I know some feed chicken feet, but Ginger is sensitive to chicken, so no chicken paws for her. :ohno

I found these instructions online for dehydrating in the oven: How to Make Dehydrated Duck Feet Dog Treats

Guest Melissa516

Your friends buy you raw duck feet? Interesting.

I can share with you if you want, Christine! I divided them up and froze in 3 packages. If you want to try some, let me know! :D

We tried giving them to F&G last night. Ginger wouldn't touch hers, but I think that was because she heard fireworks or thunder. Fred ate part of his, but stopped for some reason (probably same as Ginger). I agree... the sounds he made were really disgusting! I put the rest in the freezer to keep them fresh.

Oh and another friend at work told me that he could get me beef / lamb hearts and other organ meats. Anyone ever try dehydrating that kind of stuff? Is there anything that is a definite no no?

You can feed any of those foods raw or dehydrated. Heart and organs are very healthy, obviously just don't go overboard or you might run into poop issues. FYI if you keep these foods raw, you will keep some of the benefits in them such as glucosamine, taurine, etc. I believe many of these are destroyed by heat. I have some friends who order freezer meat, they always bring me all of the "icky" stuff like hearts, liver,tails, tongue, etc. Dogs love it!!