Chicken Wings

Guest kar

Snow just got a clean bill of health with bloodwork and ultrasound on Thursday. I was very happy. Then she ate two chicken wings on Friday morning. My daughter cannot understand close the garbage. It has been 24 hours - how long before I can feel safe - and will I see bones in her poop. She is eating and pooping normal so far.

Were the wings raw or cooked?

If raw, there should be no problem that I can see. In fact, I used to give Doc two for his breakfast every day (until he went off them). The bones are actually pretty soft, given that chickens don't often get a chance to fly....

If cooked, there is a possibility that they could splinter. However, if it's 24 hours and she is happy and eating and pooping normally I think all is likely to be well. Keep an eye on her, and on the poop - you may see fragments of bone in there during the next couple of days, or you may not - dog stomach juices are pretty ferocious so they may get metabolised away to nothing.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

unfortunately they were cooked. my daughter is very bad with the garbage and snow has learned how to open the door to the closet. she is very resourceful.

Just keep an eye on your dog and watch for any discomfort and check her droppings for any signs of blood (and if you have a fenced yard, that means always going out and looking as soon as she's pooped).

And you might want to invest in a *good* garbage can. We have a Simple Human "butterfly" opening (two doors open from the middle and automatically close). We got ours because our cat could get into any garbage can and would also sneak into the closet if you weren't always watching! It is one of the most wonderful inventions made!

http://www.simplehuman.com/45-litre-butterfly-step-can-fingerprint-proof-brushed-stainless-steel

Edited by Fruitycake

It's been a day and a half so I really wouldn't be worried. In the future you could feed a few slices of bread shortly after the snatch and grab but now things are well on their way. The little pin bones in the "flapper" part of the wing have probably been dissolved by stomach acid. The drum bones may well have been swallowed whole and pass without problems.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I did feed bread. I just found two bones in her poop. one small and one a little longer but a little sharp. I will keep watching. I just hope that she does not have any trouble. how long do you think before all pass? I am on pins and needles. why are children so "stupid". My daughters answer was just teach your dog not to eat food on the table or from the garbage. I will have to invest in a better garbage can. every one I buy snow can get into. especially if your daughter leaves the lid up.

I learned to take the dangerous garbage outside immediately and put it in the outside can. I had a boy that could get into anything, and my cabinets weren't tall enough for me to put in a can and bungee cord the doors closed.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)