Dog Park Behavior Question

So I have had fanny as an only greyhound for 2 months. We have been socialized her with stranger and other dogs while leashed and she has been amazing. She loves other dogs large, small and people. However, today we took her to an open off leash dog park and she is so well behaved when shes in there with me and my husband. Then when this dog came the owner let the dog off the leash right away before I could see what she would do and she snapped at him while I had her collar. I hate to have to muzzle her at the dog park with other dogs. Anyone have this happen or advice to make this stop? I was in such disbelief it happened. She has never snapped or growled at any dog before while leashed and when I put her on the leash she tried again.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15

Several things:

1. 2 months is too early to take a new dog to the dog park. You don't know her well enough to know how she will react in any given situation. And you don't have the trust and training needed to control her off leash.

Case in point: Summit is very aggressive towards huskies but is great with almost all other dogs. I didn't find that out for months after I'd had him. And by the time I was taking him places off leash near other dogs we had enough of a relationship and training that I could control him if I saw a husky approaching. If we ad run into a husky off leash in the first few months there would have been a huge dog fight.

2. Never never never NEVER muzzle a dog at the dog park. First of all, if the dog needs a muzzle to be at the dog park then it shouldn't be at the dog park. The dog park is for dogs that are good at playing and interacting with other dogs. Secondly, even a muzzled dog can do damage. And most importantly, your dog has no defence if another dog attacks.

3. Dogs are dogs. Part of their communication involves growling, showing teeth, and snapping. Summit snaps at dogs that try to mount him. That's how he tells them "f- off!" and is well within his right to do so. Kili loves pretty much everyone, but she has snipped at the occasional dog t the dog park for getting too personal in her girl bits. Again, completely warranted. You need to recognize whether a snap is truly aggressive or simply the dog trying to communicate a valid point.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks for the information ive never taken any of my dogs to a dog park because I've always had a large fenced yard. This time round I don't have a fenced yard. :/ when how long should you wait before taking them?

Kristen mom to-

Not all dogs are good candidates for dog parks. And even with dogs who are secure and well socialized, there are always potential risks to a setting where unfamiliar dogs interact with each other. IMO, it's much safer and predictable to schedule playdates with a consistent group of dogs belonging to people you know.

Regarding the specific incident, what exactly was the other dog doing when Fanny snapped at him? It's also possible that you holding her by the collar actually contributed - many dogs are more likely to act defensive if they are on a tight leash, perhaps because they feel trapped or are sensing tension from the owner. Without knowing more about the details, Fanny's behavior may have been completely appropriate and normal canine communication, as krissy mentioned.

Also, I don't think there's a specific time frame after which it's ok to take a dog to the dog park. It depends on the dog's personality, how well you know her, as well as how experienced you are at reading canine body language to be able to assess and supervise her behavior (and that of other dogs) while at the park.

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I felt pretty confident in reading her body language. And she is very attached to me and its a Pretty isolated park where there are little to no dogs around which is why we take here there instead of a larger park. I dont trust the ability of other owners as was made clear today when the lady let her dog loose. It did not also help there was a second large dog with her that seem not so friendly that they did not take off the leash. Thank god. I feel that I do have and did have complete control over my own dog which is why I thought she would have done well and maybe she just did not like that dog specifically im not sure. Even on leash I watch her body language very closely to see how she will respond and she has done well up to this point. Im not going to let it discourage me. I was just slightly disappointed.

Kristen mom to-

What exactly did the other dog do? It's pretty standard to let your dog off leash as soon as you get into a dog park. Having a dog on leash can sometimes create more problems because the dog feels trapped when other dogs approach. As long as the dogs have stable temperaments and are well-socialized, it's often better to let them meet and greet each other uninhibited. The problem with public parks is that you never know if the other dogs are stable and well-socialized.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I've taken my dogs to dog parks and I take their leashes off immediately as has everyone else. It's the norm. I wouldn't bother going it they needed to be on leash. I stopped going because it's far away and Bu just napped and Sailor hated walking on the mulch so he just stood there. Not all dogs are good candidates for the dog park for a variety of reasons.

While greyhounds usually enjoy a good run every so often, most don't need it. A nice long leash walk will usually suffice. Obedience classes are another way to drain energy and to bond. I recommend positive reinforcement methods. I also don't have a yard and my dogs do just fine with leash walks.

I remove leashes in the "calming area" (inside the double set of gates that our park has. It irritates me when people come in through the second set and then try to take the leash off. It's difficult to do because the dog is excited and is now being swarmed by all the other dogs who want to say hello. Then if it has leash reactivity it snaps. That's what the calming area is for! I generally recall Kili out of the group and wait until the dog's leash is off.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

There are a lot of complicated processes that come into play regarding 'leash dynamics.' It's never a good idea to leash your dog or hold onto their collar in a group of other unleashed dogs. Like Jen said, it can make them feel threatened and unable to escape if necessary. Presented with a large dog running toward her combined with feeling restricted by the collar, I'd say Fanny's behavior was completely acceptable and warranted. I expect that both of my greyhounds would've done the same exact thing.

Dog parks are fun, but you have to understand that they're pretty much a free for all (and that's what they're meant to be). There's no way to do controlled introductions with every dog to 'see what what they'll do.' In a dog park, you just have to let them go and see what happens. This is why it's so important to have a handle on your dog's temperament and basic obedience skills (stay, recall, leave it) before testing out a dog park environment. I agree that two months is probably not long enough, unless you're doing formal training and socialization everyday.

One other thing I want to mention- a snap is not the end of the world, and it doesn't mean your dog is aggressive. I know a lot of people assume that a 'good dog' won't snap for any reason (and some breeds are less demonstrative than others), but most greyhounds (at least, in my experience) rely on these behaviors to communicate. Your girl was simply telling you and the other dog that she was uncomfortable and needed space. It's likely that you'll be witness to MANY growls/snaps throughout the course of her life with you. What I'm saying is, don't be too disappointed or hung up on this one incident. I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every growl/snap I've seen from my dogs!

For now, I think off-leash play groups with familiar dogs are going to be your best bet. Less risky than a public dog park, plus you'll get to observe her behaviors with well-behaved dogs you know and trust. Whether or not she's a good candidate for dog parks remains to be seen. If she does well in play groups, you can always try again.

Good luck with Fanny. She sounds like a good girl who probably just needs a little more time.

Well I reason I felt confident is because I am doing formal training and socialization every day. Im doing this because I worry with her be an only greyhound she maybe less social with other dogs. Ive never had only 1 greyhound before but because I have 2 cats I wanted to introduce one dog at a time. I do think I wad more nervous about the dogs than she was an I reached for the collar only because I did know what she would do and the other dog owner said her dog was a newbie at the park and a 90lb weimariner makes me a little nervous.

Kristen mom to-