Frozen Or Fresh Bones?

Query: I've been giving my gang frozen turkey necks and chicken carcasses, but someone has just told me that they can splinter (like cooked ones I guess). Is this the case? Obviously if so I'll start thawing things out but the frozen ones have been good in summer and they seem to make the gang work much harder.

My problem with thawed is lack of chewing. The first turkey neck I ever gave Summit was thawed. He choked it down without chewing. It was awful. First I thought he might choke to death. Then once he finally managed to get it down I worried for the next day that the unchewed bones would cause an obstruction. Now I only feed them frozen. I hadn't heard anything about the bones splintering when frozen, so I can't comment on that.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest roweboy

I'm new to all this but I've been giving my 80 lb gh some huge, frozen turkey necks, 1 per week. They must be about a pound each and I use them to replace one meal. I run them under cold water for a minute to get the extra ice off and he lies down with them in the yard for a good long chew. I'm glad he's not a gulper because that would make me panic! I keep an eye on him while he's at it. His teeth look amazing (he'll be 3 in a month). Sometimes he gets an upset tummy for a day after them, but nothing too serious, just wrecks the air quality.

I just take them out of the freezer and hand them over. No issues and it encourages them to chew more. Ozzie certainly doesn't mind.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Yep, we call the frozen necks popsicles here in the desert :) If they are the really large necks I will use the hedge loppers to halve them and then freeze them. I give them one to replace most of the evening meal about every other day. They still dance when they see me digging them out of the freezer :hehe

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

• 2 weeks later...

Frozen here, straight out of the freezer. They last longer and oh boy, does he love his meatsicles.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest chickenpotpie

I tend to give them thawed to semi thawed as she's not a gulper, and she only get Tom Turkey necks (which are HYOOGE!) Chicken feet on the other hand I feed straight from the freezer because they're smaller and more of a treat than part of her meal(s). If your dog tends to gulp food down, then frozen may not be such a bad idea. I get my necks 30lbs at a time and they cut them for me (for those near Boston, MA

Freezing shouldn't alter the structure of bone like cooking does. The only warning I have heard is about the large, weight bearing chew bones. I have heard of dogs accidently chewing down too hard on them due to the cold numbing the feeling in their mouth (since they tend to last quite a while). I don't think it matters for things like necks, thighs, etc. my guys like them frozen in the hot weather. :)