Question Re Food

Guest M355Y

Guest M355Y

Hi,

Do any of you use Burgess Supadog Greyhound and Lurcher food? Any good?

I've also seen Chudleys Greyhound Maintenance Food which is for retired greys? Again, any good?

I've been looking for foods that have around 18% and 20% these are 21% for Chudleys and 17% for Burgess.

Any experiences of the above?

I've also contemplated the Retired Greyhound Trusts food by Dodson and Horrell, anybody use this at all?

Wow, I am amazed that you have so many brands that are actually labelled "greyhound" food (assuming you are in the UK?). IMO breed specific food is a bit of a gimmick, so I wouldn't purchase the food solely on that. Most of those foods list "wheat or wheatfeed" as the first ingredient. Personally, not something I would spend money on if there were other brands at a comparable cost with a little more meat. Just my thoughts though, maybe some UK members have experience with the food.

I've never used any of these foods but I wouldn't be happy feeding my dogs a food containing wheat - wheat is a very common allergen and not something I'd want to be giving my dogs everyday, or at all in my case. That said, there are probably lots of people who do feed these foods without any problems, so it may just be a case of try it and see. The brands I like are Burns and James Wellbeloved, although they are a little more expensive. I get mine from Zooplus, which is the best value I've found, especially if you take advantage of their STOCK-UP code and payment plan if you're offered it.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest M355Y

Hi,

I did wonder about the wheat element! I originally looked at Burns and quite possibly will end up going with that. :)

I have been told that the current food being fed is odds on which is a working greyhound food so unsure whether to use that going forward once they are at home with us.

I haven't even heard of Odds On - maybe one of the other UK GT'ers has some knowledge of that. You could feed that for a while and see how they do on it, or you could gradually phase in the food you wish to feed. I've never bothered about continuing to feed the food they were on in kennels, because in all but one case I didn't know what they were being fed, so I just switched them cold turkey to their new food. With any new dog, there's usually a period of trial and error until you find a food which they like, and which suits them and also your pocket!

I must admit that Burns is my current favourite (although I reserve the right to change my mind as I have many times in the past :lol) but it is quite low calorie compared to some foods so you may have to feed more than it says on the bag to keep their weight up. Actually I like this about it, because it means I can give them nice big meals which satisfy them and I don't have dogs that are hungry all the time. I also like the Burns Penlan Farm pouches, which are partially organic, and mine share one for breakfast and/or mixed with the kibble.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for replying so late but I have only just seen your post.

I used to feed Judges greyhound maintenance to my last three greyhounds , I have not tried the Chudleys version but I used to work with horses and fed a lot of Chudleys products which were very high quality.

I fed my last Greyhound Supadog lamb and rice sensitive as it was thought she had a gluten allergy, she did very well on it as do my friends grey and lurcher and I have just started feeding it to my newest boy, he loves it. It is not much more expensive than some of the maintenance diets.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

"Sorry for replying so late but I have only just seen your post."

Same here!

My Chancey came with a big bag of "Odds On" in January. I couldn't find a supplier on-line and wanted to bring the protein levels of her food down as she no longer needed 27% now she was retired. When that food was running out I opted for the Dodson & Horrell Retired Greyhound food, hoping it might reduce the quantity & make her stools firmer if I reduced the water I added to it (I'm not happy giving dogs completely dry food). I also like the idea that it contained Green Lipped Mussel for joints etc.

She's been on the D & H for 2 months and we're halfway through the second bag. I also add Forthglade cooked meat or my local butcher's "pet mince" (all their left overs minced up & frozen in a roll). She still produces vast amounts of poo and it is still pretty loose in comparison to my whippet who eats the same amount of meat but has a handful of Dene's wholemeal mixer in with it. Chancey has about 300g. D & H + meat a day, slightly more than recommended for her weight but she needs to carry a bit more yet, she's still too ribby.

Had to have a deworming session earlier this month, which should make weight gain more likely now!

Hoping yet again to make her stools more solid I'm just starting to transition her to Burns Original Fish & Brown Rice, it is dearer than the D & H, working out at just over £1 per day according to the Burns website. It appears cheaper at Zooplus though.

Carol.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.