Acid Reflux

Guest fastcasper

Guest fastcasper

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has experienced acid reflux with their greyhound. My girl eats really fast, drinks really fast and often spits up water or regurgitated food but doesn't vomit. I have used Pepcid AC a couple of times which seems to help a little but doesn't last the whole day. Other than that she is acting normal. Any ideas or input would be welcomed.

Kim

The only thing I found that slowed my speed eater was one of the big dog food cans. It fits from one side of the food bowl to the other. Straight across. I put cups, bottles, stones, you name it. They don`t burp as much at all. Was totally surprised how much they slowed down with the big can in the bowl. I take the paper off the can. So I can wash it. Also it is heavy enough so they can`t push it out.

Guest grey_dreams

I assume you might feed dry kibble? It also helps a lot to add water to the kibble. Add enough water so that the kibble pieces begin to float, then let it sit for a minute or so before serving. The water slows them down, and the dry kibble is already moist, so they don't have to gulp water after eating to wash down the dry kibble and rehydrate.

Guest fastcasper

Great suggestions! I do water down her kibbles so it's more soup like. But I will try putting an "obstacle" in her food bowl so she has to eat around it.

Thanks!!

Kim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fastcasper

Yep! My vet thinks it could be acid reflux. Wynnie is on Pepcid AC 2x/day. I added water to her food which has slowed her down and (what I think is key), I hold out on drinking water after her meals for about 20 minutes. She hasn't spit up water or food in a couple of days.