Squaker (Sp?) Help

Of my 5 greyhounds, 3 responded to a squaker - they would come running and I'd give them a treat. We'd do this once in awhile with the hope that if they ever got away, they'd come back to a squaker. They responded immediately but didn't go nuts. My 4th greyhound doesn't respond at all and my 5th one GOES CRAZY! We got Rumor in January and today I got the squaker out to see if she'd respond and maybe work on some recall. She came running, wasn't the slightest bit interested in the treat but kept looking for the squaker (she didn't see it in my hands). After she calmed down and stated playing in the yard, I did it again - she went crazy looking for the squaker and trying to get a hold of it. She totally didn't care about the treats. I put the squaker away and she nearly turned the chest over that I put it on trying to get it. She's been sitting at the door of the room it is in ever since (sometimes scratching at the door). So, what does she want? I thought about getting a stuffie that I keep with the squaker and only let her play with it when she comes. I'm also thinking that since she responds so well that I should just put it away and hope I never need it but know she will probably respond to it if she ever gets out. Thoughts? Thanks!

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest Lillypad

I would have to say you know more than me ... Score = you- 5 greyhounds vs me - 1 greyhound, but I have heard it said that squawkers should'nt really be used to train re-call. They should only be used selectively cause the dog may desensitize and not repond just when you need it most.

Sure more knowledgeable members have experience to share. I enjoy follow-ups on with these types of questions, love hearing what members suggest.

Regards,

Thank you Lillypad for the correct spelling of squawker! It was driving me crazy because I knew I was wrong but didn't have time to look it up.

Thanks for the input too!

Edited by Houndmommy03

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I would have to say you know more than me ... Score = you- 5 greyhounds vs me - 1 greyhound, but I have heard it said that squawkers should'nt really be used to train re-call. They should only be used selectively cause the dog may desensitize and not repond just when you need it most.

Sure more knowledgeable members have experience to share. I enjoy follow-ups on with these types of questions, love hearing what members suggest.

Regards,

Yes, a squawker is a tool to have for those dogs that respond to it in case of an emergency where your dog gets out and your trained recall doesn't work. Obviously you can train your dog to come in response to any sort of sound, it doesn't have to be a verbal cue, but I would suggest using something else like, perhaps a whistle if you don't want to use a word like come or here. Any sort of reliable recall is going to require a lot of work, setting your dog up for success initially, rewarding HEAVILY any and every time your dog responds to the cue, building up the level of distraction, and never using it for anything negative - to end play or yard time, to scold your dog, etc. Many people don't really bother to work on it to the point that they could immediately get their dog back in almost any situation (although I think they should) so the squawker is a good back up to have. But it either works or it doesn't. You try it one time so you know and then you keep it handy and hope you never have to use it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."