Suddenly Waking In The Night

Guest PaulEmandStan

Guest PaulEmandStan

My 6+1\2 year old grey male Stan has, in the past 8 days, taken to waking up between 4.30 and 5.30 am, leaving his baske downstairs and whining outside our room before continuing to sleep on the landing.

He's never done this before and As far as we know nothing has changed in his routine. We're trying to encourage him to stay downstairs more as we are expecting a baby in July but he's always been cooperative and in the past if he woke he'd just rearrange his bed and go back to sleep.

Had anyone else seen such a strange sudden change in sleep behaviour?

Nigel gets me up if he's cold.

He wears a fleecy coat, but likes to be covered with a blanket....wimp!!

If he moves around and the blankie falls off, he gets me up.

He's a Wimp!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Has he always slept downstairs? It's hard to tell because you say nothing's changed, but then also say you're encouraging him to stay down stairs more.... It sounds to me like he's lonely. You can't have him in your room?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I am thinking he might be cold. How about a housecoat or jacket to sleep in. If it is not cold where you live, maybe, he is just lonely.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PaulEmandStan

He's always slept downstairs since we moved to this house over a year ago with no problems. We don't want him to sleep in our room because we'll have newborn baby there in 4 months, also he's never been allowed to unless we have guests

Okay, if that's where he's used to sleeping, it's good. Then I'm inclined to agree with the others that he may be cold. Or is it possible he is hearing noises outside your house and trying to go to you for comfort?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest PaulEmandStan

Hmm well he has jammies so don't think it's the cold. Next door have a new born so maybe he's hearing crying?

If it happens again tonight we'll try baby-gating him off as during the day he seems to take that as a signal that upstairs is out of bounds and accepts it

He could be cold, have to go potty, be in pain, be lonely. He could be sensing an upcoming change and is worried about it.

We all know that Greyhound personalities change as time goes by, even if they've been a part of the family for years. I'd be wondering if he's just tired of sleeping alone. If he's lonely, can you put a gate across the doorway to your bedroom instead of closing the door? That way he could see you and be a part of you sleeping but not be in the bedroom. Is your bedroom small? Is that why you don't want to have a bed for him in there?

Edited by Feisty49