What's Going On With Ernie's Bum?

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Last night Ernie had some diarrhea. It was the first time since we got him in August that it's happened.

Today I noticed that he was licking his bum 'area' a lot. I tried to get near it and he growled (he doesn't let me get near his scratches/cuts at all).

Fleas? Worms?

I read some of the threads. Would one of these conditions include the diarrhea?

We've recently changed his food over completely and he was doing fine for about a week (solid, no issues).

Guest OPointyDog

Lots of things can cause diarrhea. Worms are a reasonable guess, especially if he's got bad "snacking" habits. Doing a forum search on diarrhea will lead you to a lot of different threads with various causes.

Our Mika has trouble with his anal glands filling up when he has bouts of diarrhea, and he responds by licking his butt almost constantly. I know when he does that it's time to take him to the vet to get his anal glands expressed.... Is the area irritated and red? That may also cause him to lick it.

Would suspect anal gland problems first. Probably needs to be looked at if the area is red/swollen. They can get infected and burst.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree with Greysmom.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Often when I see a dog for bum licking it turns out to be anal glands. However, if he's having diarrhea he may just have irritation from that. Last time Kili was on antibiotics she was having diarrhea and it resulted in her bum getting irritated. Then she would lick at it which would make it worse. Once the diarrhea resolved and I kept herfrom licking it, it healed up. So I'd take him in for an exam. His anal glands can get checked out and he can have something for the diarrhea if that's the problem.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!